Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Check In

wgedge
Explorer C

I have observed that each time over the past year when I have selected early-bird check-in that my seat assignment continues to get further and further back. Two weeks ago my assignment was B-20, indicating that approximately 80 people had either an upgraded status, or had purchased early bird check-in prior to me. I did an informal survey of passengers in the B-1 to B-20 group and found that many had never heard of early bird check-in. A number of the travelers were flying for the first time. None had any preferred status. This made me wonder whether early bird check-in @ $15 per segment really works or is just a new revenue collection tool. I have spoken to SW about this, but customer service has not been helpful and they have no way of actually checking this. Does anyone have any thoughts about this. How do we know if early bird check-in actually works? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Early Bird Check In

chgoflyer
Aviator A

If you've received EarlyBird Check-In it will say "EarlyBird Check-In" on your printed boarding pass.

wgedge
Explorer C

Early bird check in is on my boarding pass, however, why are there folks in front of me who do not have early bird checkin or any other preferred status? B-20?

CJL
Explorer C

That is a good question.  Sounds like something is wrong here.