Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early bird

rnorge
New Arrival

Why pay for early bird when there at least 80  plus family's in front of you?

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted

Re: Early bird

LindseyD
Rising Star
Solution

Hi @rnorge,

EarlyBird is really convenient way to get a boarding pass without having to remember to check in 24 hours prior to your flight. It's popular with business travelers and families going on trips with several folks to check in at the same time. Makes things much easier!

Anyone out there use EarlyBird? Share your story with us!

Highlighted

goatfarmer98
New Arrival

Lindsey,

First time earlybird user.  Two quick questions, with earlybird I do nothing, boarding pass is emailed to me or on my phone?  Are all earlybirds checked in at the same time or is there a method of checking in even earlier manually?

Thanks, looking forward to flying with Southwest

Highlighted

LindseyD
Rising Star

Hi @goatfarmer98,

EarlyBird will check you in automatically 36 hours prior to departure. General check-in is available 24 hours prior to depature, so by purchasing EarlyBird you're getting a 12 hour jump on obtaining your boarding position! 

You will still need to either print your boarding pass at the airport or before you arrive at the airport, or you can get a mobile boarding pass if you're the only person on the reservation. 

Happy Travels!

Highlighted

goatfarmer98
New Arrival

thanks Ms. Lindsey. 

Highlighted

catzRocks
New Arrival

i bought early bird check in last night for a flight scheduled for tomorrow.  however, i have not received any email or whatever to show my boarding pass which i know i have yet to print.  (the flight is now less than 24 hours from my sending this email).  i have checked your FAQs but i have not found anything re this matter. 

i tried calling your customer service by phone but i was informed that the waiting time for them to return my call is 72 mins. 

hope to hear from you asap.  thanx.

Highlighted

franktravel
Rising Star

Go to the Southwest Airlines home page and click on check-in, enter your name and conformation number and print your boarding pass. 

Good luck!

Highlighted

JennBiancato
New Arrival

This is not the experience i just had. I purchased early bird check in at the time i purchased the tickets thinking this automatically would put my daughter and I in the A group without having to check in manually. Imagine my irritation when my boarding pass put us in the B group. A COMPLETE waste of my money as i have had better luck waiting for the clock to hit the magic minute a by checking in manually or upgrading at the airport. I'm extremely disappointed. I feel screwed over. I will never add early bird at the time of purchase again. Southwest should post a disclaimer when promoting this "benefit" as it is absolutely NOT a guarantee of a better boarding position, but it IS a guarantee they will take your extra money! 

Highlighted

jimmynunu
New Arrival

How early can I chech in for a flight on which I purchased Early Bird?

Highlighted

StAugustine

Early Bird "checks you in" electronically and assigns a boarding position 36 hours before the flight automatically.

24 hours before the flight you still have to go to the website or app and check in. Then you can print your boarding pass, and you will learn the boarding position you have been assigned. If you cannot check in at the website or on the app, you can check in at the airport using a kisok or a real person.