Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family boarding with 1 under 6, 2 over 6

JamRam545
Explorer C

This will be our kids first time flying, ages 4, 11, and 14. My husband and I will both be traveling with them. Older kids are SUPER nervous and I am worried with the open seat policy we won’t get to sit together.

Can the 5 of us all board during family boarding? Only one child is under 6. My older kids will really want to have a parent with them as this is their first time flying and there will be tears and anxiety especially for my 11 year old.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Family boarding with 1 under 6, 2 over 6

jksobonya
Aviator A

https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/boarding_the_plane_faq.html

Do families get to preboard?

Two adults traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position.

------

Hope this helps,

Jessica

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@JamRam545 wrote:

This will be our kids first time flying, ages 4, 11, and 14. My husband and I will both be traveling with them.

Can the 5 of us all board during family boarding? Only one child is under 6.

The wording was clarified recently that two adults can go with a child < 7 (6 or younger) - it’s still vague in regards to additional children who have regular “adult” tickets but obviously aren’t “adults” - my suggestion is to go up and ask in advance so that you can gameplan. Mostly likely it’s fine.

If they say no, then arrange into a group with yourself and husband each with kids and the three that board at family boarding hold spots for the remaining two. 

If you or your husband are A-list you might have an earlier boarding spot - just hold back and board at Family Boarding all together.

Let is know if this helps or spurs new questions.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

JamRam545
Explorer C

Thank you!

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Also, your odds of securing low boarding positions (meaning seats together) improve with the purchase of EarlyBird. We know that's not always a desirable option, so for good measure, always be sure to check in exactly 24 hours prior to your scheduled departure when you do not purchase EarlyBird. 

We look forward to welcoming you and your family onboard!

Nicole
Community Manager

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

If they say no, then arrange into a group with yourself and husband each with kids and the three that board at family boarding hold spots for the remaining two. 

👍

--TheMiddleSeat