Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Flying same day on two reservations to Hawaii

bbodb1
Explorer C

The short version of this question: using two different flight reservations, I have a six hour layover in Oakland.  Can I check my bags all the way to Kona when I check in at Little Rock (the initial point of departure)? 

Since I could not find a direct flight on SW to Hawaii(Kona) from Little Rock, I had to make two separate reservations (stopping for 6 hours in Oakland).  I've read a couple of posts here that I should be able to check my bags in (at) Little Rock to Kona - meaning I will NOT have to retrieve my bags in Oakland (actual end of the 1st reservation) and recheck them for the 2nd destination (Kona).  However, given the two flights are 6 hours apart, will that cause any issues?  

Also, I have read that not every gate agent may know how to do this.  Is there anything I can do to ensure I do NOT have to deal with my bags in Oakland (retrieve them only to recheck them)?  Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Flying same day on two reservations to Hawaii

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

The people you meet here are fellow travelers. I suspect you need a definitive answer from the airline instead of our opinions..

To get that contact the  Customer Relations Department via Twitter (@Southwestair), or call  1-855-234-4654 (M-F normal business hours)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You are correct that you should be able to check the bags through to Hawaii and the agent should be able to do this without any additional instruction or persistence, but unfortunately the only definitive answer you will get is when you actually go on the trip. Even reaching out to Southwest now may result in a "yes", but the agent working the check-in desk might be under some false belief it can't happen and saying someone on the phone said you could isn't going to help you. Hopefully all works out and you don't have any trouble, please report back with your experience.

--TheMiddleSeat

bbodb1
Explorer C

In talking with customer relations, they said pretty much the same thing that has been noted in this thread - this should be doable.  I will have both confirmation numbers at the ready when I check in at Little Rock.   Having all info at initial check in is the key to getting this right...

The rep I talked to on the phone said the 6 hour layover should not be a problem either, citing the fact that Southwest has so few direct flights to Hawaii, it is expected any traveler to Hawaii on Southwest is likely to have a long layover somewhere on the west coast.  

The one item the rep noted that makes this possible is that all travel is on the same day.  If that were NOT the case, this solution might not apply. 

More to follow as developments warrant.  Plus, I will update this thread after the trip with results and experiences. 

Thanks to those of you who have offered ideas and suggestions! 

bec102896
Aviator A

Being that the layover is 6 hours you might have to claim your bag and recheck it. The maximum layover I’ve been able to have a bag checked all the way to my final destination is 4 hours that also goes for checking the bag in for a flight I can’t check the bag more than 4 hours before the flight so if that held true for your reservation you would have to hold on to the bag for 2 hours or you could wait 2 hours to claim it at baggage claim do you could go right back to the ticket counter and re check the bag so your not dragging it around for 2 hours. 

The best thing to do would be to talk to an agent at the full service ticket counter when you get to the airport and hopefully they can work some magic and get the bag checked all the way to Kona without you having to recheck the bag. 

-Blake 

Buffalojacks
Explorer C

Hello - does anyone have updates to this post?  I am considering booking a flight from Buffalo, NY to Oakland, CA and then onto Maui, all in the same day.  The stop in Oakland would be slightly only more than an hour.  Clearly not enough time to have to deal with claiming bags and rechecking them, so I’m hopeful we can check them straight through from Buffalo to Maui.  Does anyone know for sure?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As mentioned above, you should have no problem checking bags through. There's no official policy allowing or disallowing so no one can guarantee it. Numerous people have reported being able to check bags through and I have seen zero people say they couldn't. Give yourself some extra time for check-in and go to the full service check-in counter. 

--TheMiddleSeat