Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

I am considering checking a plastic footlocker type bag is this allowed?

ime221b
Explorer C

Ok so I get the dimension requirements, and I get the weight requirements, but what is this little line at the bottom mean:Capture.PNG How do they decide what is and isn't a storage container like would this be acceptable?

61XZOnbqamL._SL1500_.jpgBecause I need to send some electronic equipment and right now this seems to be the cheapest way. So if it is within the 62" and 50lb weight requirements would something like this work?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: I am considering checking a plastic footlocker type bag is this allowed?

dfwskier
Aviator A

Perhaps you could provide a link that shows your footlocker as your photos are not appearing.

If boxes and coolers are allowed (they are), I presume a footlocker would too. As with a box, I presume you would need to secure with rope or tape to make sure it would not pop open

ime221b
Explorer C

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Footlocker-Black/16415912

that is the link to the food locker thank you 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

I would think that it would be fine. Securing it with rope and or packing tape to make sure it does not pop open would be advisable. I have seen other people use items like this used as luggage

SW does limit the size of "free" checked luggage to a max of 62 inches (Height+width+length),  and the item is a bit above that so if you run in to a rules stickler when you check in you may be hit with an oversize bag fee. Also if it weighs more than 50 pounds there is an overweight bag fee.