Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

I'm sorry, but why did I just pay $40 for early boarding so 7 rows of people could board before me?

MrSavage
Explorer C

This was from Houston to Chicago on tuesday. I understand the need for special needs and disability flyers to preboard. But it's obvious that people are gaming the system. there were whole families with one disabled person all seated in the front rows. Southwest needs to take action on this. It's so obvious. Now I wish southwest actually had different sections. 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: I'm sorry, but why did I just pay $40 for early boarding so 7 rows of people could board before

dfwskier
Aviator A

It  wasn't just early boarders who got on before you.

1 People who bought business select did

2 A list preferred did

3 A listers did

4 People that bought EBCI before you did.

5 and yes, early boarders did

6 Oh and if it's a direct (continuing) flight, there are people who stayed on the plane for the continuation of the flight.

i-4 above could easily put you into B group, Most of the time it doesn't, but it could.

EBCI gets you a better boarding position than people that check themselves in. That's all it does. It does not guarantee a great boarding position.

Re: I'm sorry, but why did I just pay $40 for early boarding so 7 rows of people could board before

MrSavage
Explorer C

Just to be clear, I was position A-1

gsking
Aviator C

Curious...why DID you pay $40 for early boarding? 

All the seats are the same size and go to the same place. 

All the checked bags do too, and are free.

All of the seats either have a window, an aisle, or the use of two armrests.

For a flight that can cost less than $100, I'd find little reason for a 40% upcharge.

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

“All the seats are the same size and go to the same place. 

All the checked bags do too, and are free.

All of the seats either have a window, an aisle, or the use of two armrests.”

guess the same questions should be asked of the pre-board scammers but they seem to find reasons to board early whereas the OP at least PAID to board A1-15...as to why he paid the $40 “on a flight that costs less than 100 bucks” is really his business but good to know you’d find “little reason” 

gsking
Aviator C

Well, I'd guess that the pre-board scammers are all trying to get seats next to each other. That doesn't make it right, but it makes a little bit more sense than a single flyer paying to get on early. But then, I would never scan the system, nor would I waste that money. Hence, that's why I was asking the question.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@ronnyradio wrote:

“whereas the OP at least PAID to board A1-15..."

Early bird doesn't guarantee you A1-15 seating. Heck, it doesn't even guarantee you A seating. And therein lies the rub. You can pay for early boarding if you want, I have in the past, but there are no guarantees you will get A boarding. 

--Jessica

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

Hi Jessica, I could be wrong (but never in doubt) but I THINK the OP paid $40 for the A1-15 upgrade usually available at the gate rather than earlybird...maybe he'll be back to confirm..

jksobonya
Aviator A

Ah, well if that's the case @ronnyradio, then that is a different situation ... that would be 'upgraded boarding'. Assuming he paid the $40 at the gate to get an A1-A15 position, did he in fact get that? If so, he would have gone on the plane ahead of most everyone else ... 

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

Ah, well if that's the case @ronnyradio, then that is a different situation ... that would be 'upgraded boarding'. Assuming he paid the $40 at the gate to get an A1-A15 position, did he in fact get that? If so, he would have gone on the plane ahead of most everyone else ... 

--Jessica

Except pre-boarders, which I assume is the complaint based on his post. 😉

Worth noting that there may have been through passengers as well.