Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Multiple passengers checking in at the same time but different families

gaburkett
Explorer C

There are 4 of us that made our own reservations, but we are all on the same flight.   Do we each have to check in on our own, or can one person check us all in at the same time so we will have the same boarding priority?   Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Multiple passengers checking in at the same time but different families

eviln8
Explorer C

Checkin is by confirmation number. So assuming you have separate confirmation numbers you'll need to check in each one separately.

A couple of tips:

1. I like to use multiple browsers / phones when I'm checking in multiple reservations.
  2. If you want to board together, you can hang back to the person with the lowest number.

Good Luck

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Alternatively, everyone in the group could purchase EarlyBird Check-In, that should get you all boarding positions that are reasonably close together without the stress/headache of doing multiple check-ins. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Be aware that buying EarlyBird Check-In for each passenger ($15 each person, one-way) would save you from needing the check everyone in at t-24, but may not necessarily give you consecutive, or even close, boarding positions.

It's possible, for example, for some of the group to be at the end of the A group and others in the B one -- separated by Family Boarding (among others).

Remember that Southwest allows seat saving, so if one person in the group has a low position (with or without EBCI) they can save seats for the rest of the group. If you'd prefer to all board the plane at the same time, Southwest's policy is for everyone to board with the highest (worst) boarding position.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

And just like that, @chgoflyer opens the Pandora's box that is "seat saving".

Even better (and more expensive) option is to purchase the early boarding upgrade at the gate.  Assuming there are spots available, all four passengers should be able to get consecutive boarding positions in the A1-15 group.  $30-$50 each person might be a bit much, just depends on how important everyone boarding together and getting their choice of seats is.

Personally, I would purchase EarlyBird for everyone, then board at the worst of the 4 borading positions.  You'll still be able to get 4 seats "together", either 3 plus the one across the aisle, or 3 and 1 in front or behind.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest allows seat saving. I suppose it will always be controversial to some -- but as long as Southwest fails to have a policy prohibiting or limiting it, it is what it is. 😉

I usually buy EBCI for myself. But I would never buy it for all 4 people in a group. Its value is very much lost if you can't board at the position you've paid for and been given, but instead have to board at the latest position in your group (when that means losing out on A boarding, for example).

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyerwrote:

Southwest allows seat saving. I suppose it will always be controversial to some -- but as long as Southwest fails to have a policy prohibiting or limiting it, it is what it is. 😉

I usually buy EBCI for myself. But I would never buy it for all 4 people in a group. Its value is very much lost if you can't board at the position you've paid for and been given, but instead have to board at the latest position in your group (when that means losing out on A boarding, for example).

It's a function of your level of discomfort with confrontation and sense of guilt. If one person goes first and saves several spots, people will be coming by trying to sit in the spot and how will you feel telling people that you have saved a spot? What if the other person insists they will sit in the empty space?

Side note: many people would not begrudge you to hold one spot for your spouse or child, especially if it is a middle. 

If this bothers you - get the EBCI for everyone. And/or when you save three seats don't go for the best possible spot, head to the back. Are the people in your group relatively close - there's a psychological relief if the person you are saving a seat for is right behind the person asking for that spot...oh, they just barely missed out. But holding three empties until C48, 49, and 50 you are going to get some looks from people, especially on a full flight.

So contrary to @chgoflyer go ahead and get EBCI for everyone if it will reduce your stress, just board as the numbers come and hold some spots without being obnoxious about it, or bunch into twos if there is a big spread.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I suppose not being able to board at your assigned position after paying the extra fee for EarlyBird Check-In is no worse than when people who haven't bought it/paid the extra fee jump ahead of you in line (because Southwest reissues the positions of those checked in who cancel prior to flight).

I think it's wise to fully understand what your $15 guarantees you (auto check in) and what it does not (much of anything else, including consecutive positions for all members of a group).

Last year, Southwest earned nearly $400 million on EarlyBird Check-In fees alone, so clearly some passengers find it worth the cost. 😉