Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Person of size + early-bird check-in

troyboyx
Explorer C

I've never flown Southwest, but I booked a ticket for my wife and me to Las Vegas.  The flight is roughly 4 hrs.  I'm a person of size, and after researching Southwest's policies, I booked an extra seat.  Here's my dilemma.  I purchased early bird check-in for both my wife and I, which is clearly indicated when I look up our confirmation number.  However, I got a separate confirmation number for my extra seat since I purchased it later, and when I look it up, it's not noted as an early-bird check-in ticket.  My question is, do I need to purchase early bird check-in with the extra seat as well (and do I even need to check-in for that seat??), or will its association with my regular ticket be enough to ensure I'll be able to use it when I fly?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Person of size + early-bird check-in

AdamH
Retired Community Manager
Solution

@troyboyx, looking forward to having you onboard with us! You do not need to purchase EarlyBird for your extra seat. You'll still want to check in on that confirmation number, but you don't need to add EarlyBird to it. Hope that helps!

troyboyx
Explorer C

Thank you so much!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Most importantly (for future bookings), you don't actually need to purchase EarlyBird Check-In at all. 😉

Customers of Size are allowed to preboard. This allows you to select two seats together, request the seatbelt extender from a Flight Attendant, and get settled in.

It is probably a good idea to get EBCI for your wife, since the open seat next to the middle one with the "reserved" sign is a great seat to have, so the shorter the time you need to "save" it the better. 😉 I'd recommend sitting in the aisle seat and reserving the middle until she boards (then move to the window if you prefer).

You may also board together with your wife at your assigned positions (assuming sequential), but depending on boarding position that may increase difficulty in finding an open row (or you may end up near the back of the plane).

Hope this helps!

sebomiltos
Explorer C

If you're a COS and preboard, their will allow a passenger travelling with you to also preboard.