Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

RE: Potential bugs in the boarding pass system?

residentx
Explorer C

I wasn't real happy with my online boarding pass experience using southwest.com.

I have these questions but first my scenario:

I was in line to board a plane and I was talking with other passengers. These were our situations:

1. Priority/Early registration

2. Normal 24 hour registration(Me). Registered as soon as door opened.

3. Normal registration but didn't do it until 4 hours before flight time.

#3 was in front of all of us. Why was this?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: RE: Potential bugs in the boarding pass system?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Not a bug. A "feature."

Unfortunately, Southwest re-issues the boarding positions of passengers who have been checked in, but then cancel or change their flight. Those positions go to the next person to check in online. This is how someone without A-List status or who hasn't paid for EarlyBird Check-In can leapfrog over those who do/did. These re-used positions are often those of A-Listers, meaning they are very good low A ones that were assigned automatically at t-36. It's an unfair practice, and it's been complained about many times, but Southwest has said they have no plans to change anything.

😞

denno
Adventurer B

Even a simple Excel spreadsheet can delete a line (eg a checked in passenger who cancels) and simply close the gap, while putting the newcomers at the end of the line.  Why can't Southwest's computer folks, especially with the expensive new reservation system figure out how to do this?  

This would all be irrelevant and easily solved, if one's boarding sequence number would be issued at the time of booking instead of within 24 hours of departure.  New reservations go on at the end of the line.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Southwest has never been known for having good IT systems. 😉 They are still working out the multitude of bugs/issues/errors caused by the conversion, but one hopes that at some point they would address this issue as well. One isn't overly optimistic, since they don't seem to view it as a problem.

They would likely not implement your suggestion, as it would have the effect of making later bookings less attractive, and possibly reducing sales.

Haipham2017
Adventurer B

I agree. Here is what happended to us. I had about $20 from a credit card which only can be used for air travel incident so I bought the "Early Bird check-in" and my wife did not buy it. When we did check in she got A group with lower number and I got B group !!! I went to airport and complainted and was told exactly what you said.

franktravel
Aviator B

Number three could have been a Rapid Rewards A-List Preferred or A-List Member.  Southwest automatically reserve their boarding position, allowing them the flexibility to print their boarding pass any time prior to their departure.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@franktravel wrote:

Number three could have been a Rapid Rewards A-List Preferred or A-List Member.  Southwest automatically reserve their boarding position, allowing them the flexibility to print their boarding pass any time prior to their departure.

While possible, I'd assume that, "Normal registration but didn't do it until 4 hours before flight time," would mean that person was not an A-Lister. 😉