Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Saving Seat Solutions

bobbyg605
Explorer B

The way to solve the problem of seat saving is to not allow saving seats in certain rows like the first 12 rows and exit rows.  Other than that, save seats. The A listers and people who paid should be entitled to sit where they want when they board, providing someone is not sitting there already.  I have recieved word back from Southwest that neither myself or the person saving the seat is in the wrong.  Therefore, when I go to a more desireable seat I dont ask if its being saved, I ask if that person is sitting in this seat or that one, because I will be sitting in the other one.  If they give me any flack, I explain that they can easily save seats in the back of the plane.  And then I explain that it is an open seat policy and that seat is open.  I then ask them to show me the seat saving policy.  They can never seem to find the seat saving policy.  So if Southwest doesnt want to allow saving the premium seats, this is the best way to deal with it.  And besides, why is it that important to sit next to someone you know? If someone is not reading or watching their phones with their headphones in, they are probably sleeping.  Who cares if you have to wait 2 or 3 hours to be next to the person you know again anyway.  Safe Travels.....

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Saving Seat Solutions

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Great suggestion, but falling on deaf ears. Compromises such as this have been suggested, repeatedly, for years. Southwest will simply state that they have no intention of implementing a seat saving policy anytime soon.

tpegan
Explorer A

No policy is a policy.  Whether Southwest chooses to put it in writing their policy is that seat saving is allowed and there is no limit on the number of seats you can save.

hockeydiva
Adventurer B

I LOVE this solution! I'd also recommend limiting seat saving to ONE seat--and it must be the one adjoning your seat. So, if you are in the aisle or window, you are saving a middle seat. 

Stops people from saving multiple rows or trying to save preferred seats for later boarding passengers.

JBlair94591
Explorer B

I have two thoughts based on what I've read:

1. This is a problem that could instigate confrontations pretty easily. I would hope that Southwest leadership learned from what has happened on United and other recent flights on which fights/altercations have been filmed and posted to the web.

2. I would love to see if their stated interpretation of their  "open seating policy" stands up to legal interpretation. How can saving seats for people qualify as being in compliance with the policy? What it sounds like is flight attendants being apathetic and not wanting conflict (not being willing to tell people they can't save seats). People who develop a strategy whereby they buy earlybird for one person in their party are clearly gaming the system. Why can't this be added to the boarding annoucements that occur prior to boarding?

DrOT
Explorer C

My husband and I rarely get the oportunity to travel together, so when we do, we want to sit together! I have no problem sitting in the middle seat so we can enjoy our time together.  Our biggest problem is trying to accomodate his height. He is 6'6" and needs to invade someone's space (sitting next to me works best). We regret the few instances when the person in front of him has no qualms about slamming their seat back and smashing his knees, but most travelers are considerate.

ORCAGUY
Explorer C

I am also 6’6” and sometimes I pay for the upgraded boarding position to be able to sit in the emergency exit row. I can never figure out why sometimes it’s 40 dollars and at other times 30 dollars. 

I will not put  up with someone saving a seat in the emergency exit row. If they are not on the airplane using the bathroom I am sitting in that open seat. I have called SWA on this issue and you always get the same answer. We have no policy. Yet I have boarded flights where flight attendants have taken both sides. You can save seats or you can not save seats. 

What a mess! I am not an A lister this year because I curtailed my flying on SWA because of this policy. I only fly SWA now when I am traveling with my golf clubs otherwise I look for the best fare with a reserved seat. 

jmcmd
Adventurer C

There should be no seat saving.  If you want to get on together, buy your tickets together, pay for EB if you want, and get on together.  This is out of hand as is the whole pre-boarding mess.  I marvel at how the lame can suddenly walk after a flight on the airplane.  Wheelchair on, sit in the first rows and take up an entire overhead bin, then take their time getting their belongings and "jumping" off the plane at the end of the flight.  This delays those of us trying to make connections or other commitments.

When I can, I now fly jet blue. I purchase the seat I want and do not have to fight for it with preboards in wheelchairs, whether needed or not, and entire families boarding with one child using family boarding.  Fair is fair, I wish SWA would enforce their rules.

gb-tulsa
Explorer C

I have noticed recently, that the flight attendants, in their welcoming announcements, describe an open seat as any that does not have a person sitting in it.  So, given that policy, the approved way to sit together is to board together.  And please, no eye rolling when I sit down next to you.

35ftcabo
Explorer C

I've heard the same - any seat that doesn't have a butt in it.