Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Saving Seats Problem - Here is what you can do

davidonelson
Explorer B

I keep running into this problem as many people have reported.  On a recent flight  Sacramento to Seattle, two different seats I wanted to sit in were "saved", so I just stopped asking and I went to the back in frustration where there were open rows and no one obviously saving seats.  After the flight, I discussed the non policy in detail with a Southwest staff member. Here is what I found out.  In normal circumstances, while the flight attendants will not stop people from trying to save seats, they will also not make you move if you sit in a seat someone has "saved".  So here is what you can do:

Ignore the person trying to save the seat, and just sit in the seat.

If something is on the seat, just pick it up and sit in the seat.  Then give the item that was on the seat to the person who is trying to save the seat.

If the person saving the seat objects, simply tell them Southwest has an open seating policy during boarding, first come first serve.

If the person saving the seat calls over a flight attendant, don’t worry about it.  Under normal circumstance, the flight attendant is not going to ask you to move, because they are not supposed to be taking a position on the saving of seats.  Video record the situation if you can.

Clearly, open seating during boarding means any seat not actually being occupied is available to be sit in.  Clearly, the people in line first get the choice of available seats before those in line behind them.  By having an open seating policy but not taking a position on saving seats, Southwest has setup a situation where passengers must confront fellow passengers to get the seat they deserve for the position in line they paid for, increasing the likelihood of problems in the cabin, and giving all involved a negative feeling about the experience of flying on Southwest.

I will be trying this next time I run into the issue and I'll let you know what happens.

69 REPLIES 69

Re: Saving Seats Problem - Here is what you can do

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Yes, discussed MANY times. If you want to be that person go for it. Nothing new here, just don't expect a friendly neighbor during the flight. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I would amend your original statement to say that "clearly seats are not assigned" and that maybe it means seats that are unoccupied.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

BobV
Explorer C

This problem is probably resulting in loss of business to Southwest and rightfully so.  A recent flight from Panama City reminded us why we usually fly on carriers that reserve seats.  It was the WORST flight of our lives and nearly caused my wife a nervous breakdown the embarrassment we had to endure.  The two of us purchased Earlybird check-in but still ended up in high-A group on the sold out flight that had a huge family boarding.  When we boarded, we passed MANY saved seats and even rows.  We ended up in a row where no single person sat next to us.  Then, near the end of the family boarding there weren't enough UN-saved seats for families with small children to sit together so we were asked twice if one of us would mind moving.  I referred them to the flight attendant.  Then, a flight attendant asked if one of us would move and I told her I would if they reimburse the $40 we paid for Earlybird check-in and she said she couldn't do that but she would give us a free drink. We don't drink.  A lady behind us with a teenager who could have moved started making rude comments about our lack of compassion.  It continued throughout the flight.  Then the final straw was when a young dad with one of the small children (who did get to sit with him when they moved another teenager) gave us a disgusted look and shouted "I hope you have bad karma today!)  We told him that we paid for early boarding and they wouldn't reimburse us for it but he only shouted louder.  This highly NEGATIVE situation could have been avoided if Southwest would enforce their policy on first come/first come seating.  Our first choice going forward is to fly on carriers with reserved seating.  If we have to fly on Southwest for reasons of economics or convenience, we WILL be taking the first available seats even if they are saved.  It would be better to have one person sitting next to you upset rather than having the entire plane giving you an evil stare.

buzzchris
Adventurer B

I have already posted my own thoughts of it a few moments ago. But,..saving seats in the emergency row should not be allowed. Twice now, I have seen a passenger (A1-A15) save BOTH emergency row seating for his family who were in the C group. BOTH ROWS! The FA did nothing stating there is no saving of seats policy with SouthWest.  My neighbor just returned from a SouthWest flght and the same thing happened to him,..both sides emerg row seats were "saved" for the guy's family.    So forget the early bird or priotity boarding. 

Jaime4220
Explorer C

Its ridiculous that anyone would shame you for this. You are just as entitled to the seats of your choice as any other passenger — more so because you paid the additional fee! If parents need to sit with their children, the. They are responsible for making that happen. And if the airline’s process or policies make that difficult, their customers shouldn’t be the ones responsible for fixing it. This is another reason why I only fly Southwest when required to for my job. Other carriers are worth the additional costs. 

Lostclimber
Explorer C

I have been flying every week with Southwest to Sacramento for 6 months now and can still say this is a major issue with people refusing to allow you to sit in an open seat even in the A boarding group. I some what understand people trying to hold seats for family members but have been noticing the supposed “family” members never show up and there is an empty seat that many paying customers are refused. There needs to be more done to address this and support customers who are refused the ability to sit in open seats according to you our own policies. Sorry for the rant but this does get a bit old.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Lostclimber you're welcome to be that person and sit where ever you want, regardless of what someone says about holding a seat. No one is refusing your ability to sit there.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Lostclimber wrote:

There needs to be more done to address this and support customers who are refused the ability to sit in open seats according to you our own policies.  

So what is your suggestion?

FlyALot
Explorer C

I'm done. 

Today I pay for an upgrade to Business Select. Board (A-14). Exit row aisles and at least one window is taken, which are my go-to. So I opt for the bulkhead aisle, 1C. 1A&B are occupied by a woman and her teen daughter. They inform me my seat is "saved" for the mother's co worker. This is a 3 1/2 hour flight... I didn't move. On a short hop, I could care less... I woulda taken another aisle. Truly. 

Now, I travel with my wife and 3 kids. I have never saved seats -- even when my kids are in the C group. Much less, never have I saved seats for co workers. If I pay for Business Select, I should be entitled to my seat of choice over someone who boards later. Right?!!

i know this is a "first-world" problem. But who is being selfish? Me or the people who try to save seats -- much less seats in choice spots on the plane? For their co-worker!?