Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Saving Seats

Toddrstory
Explorer C

Saving seats on the plane is getting out of hand undermining the spirit and intent of Southwest's boarding process as well as those individuals with status or paying a premium for early bird check-in.  On my flight today there were at least 4 entire rows being saved by one person and to top it off, a fifth entire row being saved with purses and cell phones with no one in it.  

What is Southwest policy on seat saving?  

I also fear if a person decides to occupy one of these "open seats" a physical altercation could occur jeopardizing every passengers safety.  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Saving Seats

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest does not have an official policy on seat saving (for or against). Since it isn't banned, people save seats. It does allow familes to sit together.

Toddrstory
Explorer C

i have a hard time understanding the "family together" point.  I have flown many times with my in-laws.  They are 80 years old and are not keen on the airport/flying experience.  To put them, and me at ease, I purchase early-bird boarding for all individuals, ensure I check-in exactly 24 hours before the flight time, and get to the airport very early to minimize any anxiety.  My wife and I, along with my in-laws have never had a problem getting 4 seats together, and typically up front.  No saving seats required. 

And since there "are no rules regarding saving seats" I'll take that to mean a person has the freedom to move the person's item in order to sit down because...there are no rules.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

And since there "are no rules regarding saving seats" I'll take that to mean a person has the freedom to move the person's item in order to sit down because...there are no rules.  

Touch another person or another person's "stuff" and you will likely be in trouble.

You can "take it" that a seat is taken when there is "stuff" occupying a seat

jksobonya
Aviator A

When a plane has an open seating policy and no reserved seats, this can happen. Honestly, I don't care where I sit on the plane, so it's not an issue for me. Why are people so concerned about being in the first few rows of an airplane, where seats are often saved? The only reason to be towards the front of the plane is if you have a very short connection to catch. If your connection time is one hour or more, where you sit in the plane really doesn't matter.

--Jessica

bec102896
Aviator A

@jksobonya wrote:

When a plane has an open seating policy and no reserved seats, this can happen. Honestly, I don't care where I sit on the plane, so it's not an issue for me. Why are people so concerned about being in the first few rows of an airplane, where seats are often saved? The only reason to be towards the front of the plane is if you have a very short connection to catch. If your connection time is one hour or more, where you sit in the plane really doesn't matter.

--Jessica

For those who check bags it also shouldn't matter where you sit on the plane because rushing to baggage claim to wait is a bit silly which is why I usually go towards the exit row or farther back.