Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Service animals and ESA dogs

laceylace7777
Explorer C

Looking to talk to someone whos experienced flying with an assistant animal and how it all works. I leave friday and just want to make sure I have everything I need and that my Medium size dog can fly with me. 

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Service animals and ESA dogs

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @laceylace7777,

Thanks for coming to the Southwest Community with your question - I think you'll find that Southwest is one of the best airlines when it comes to accommodating special travel assistance needs. We have quite a few Customers who travel on us with an emotional support animal. 

Here's all link to all the information you'll need regarding documentation. 

Anyone out there have a good story about traveling with their assistance animal(s)?

Laurel2
Explorer C

Hello; I have the same question. I haven't flown with an emotional support animal before.  I have the documentation needed from my doctor, and the support animal (a pug) has all her vaccinations (and I have her paperwork).

The link you provided is the one that I've been directed to no matter what I type into the search box.  For example, when I type in how to add emotional support animal to flight, I get what appear to be good links that tell me how to proceed before the flight.

Yet, when I click on the links, they all take me to the general "disability" page. When I click on the assistance animal link, it describes some elements but doesn't tell me what to do to prepare suitably before the flight.

Can you help? Thanks.

LindseyD

Hi Laurel,

We can definitely help you out, I'm glad you posted your question to the Community. What questions, specifically, do you have about traveling with an assistance animal that were not answered in the FAQs?

Laurel2
Explorer C

Hello,

i can't find information on how add my assistance animal to my flight. I don't want to show up at the airport and be turned away. Thanks. 

LindseyD

@Laurel2,

That's a very simple fix - contact our Customer Relations Department at 1-855-234-4654 and we'll get your ESA added to your reservation. You can also reach Customer Relations on Twitter @SouthwestAir. Either way, a Representative will be able to assist you. 

BBundy
Explorer C

My service dog and I have traveled on Southwest for many years.   Our experience has always been positive.   

My doctor now recommends that I take an emotional support animal with me as well.   We are working out the details to do so. 

annieplawrence
Explorer C

Sorry, but this doesn't make any sense. if you have a real service dog that is specifically task trained to mitigate your disabilities, why would you need an emotional support animal in addition to your service dog...?

princez916
Explorer C

A person can have a service dog that is trained in a specific task (like leading them if they are blind or sensing an oncoming seizure), but that doesn't mean they help with emotional issues such as severe anxiety.

Lowe78
Explorer C

I have a German Sheperd service dog would i be allowed to travel with her. She is not esa she alerts me on my heart rate. And balance