Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Status after 15 years of loyalty

BobM
Explorer C

I've given SWA 15+ years of business and personal travel to include tens of thousands of dollars.  I've qualifies for and lost A and A+ status a number of times due to travel cycles.  I do not understand why SWA will not create a grandfathered tier or similar to recognize and "reward" long term, loyal passengers.  I booked a flight to Rochester, NY from Baltimore and checked in at exactly 24 hrs before this flight (12/16) (cost-shy of $600!!).  I received a C9.  I called customer service to simply vent knowing there is nothing they can do- there is nothing they can do, but I did lodge my concerns.  I sense a shift at SWA and how they are delivering (see US Air below...). 

There are other choices, especially in the NE US.  I'll remind people to consider a little airline names US Air and their largess in the late 90's and early 2000's.  Travelers like me left US Air in droves when they began thinking less about the frequent and loyal passengers.  I really like SWA, but I'm at a point where I feel less apprciated.  I fervently believe I / we should recieve a loyalty status.   Mr. Kelly, thoughts?  

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Status after 15 years of loyalty

dfwskier
Aviator A

Well Bob, I've given Southwest almost 42 years of my money (first flight February, 1978), so I've got you by 27 years and lots of flights.

I don't think Southwest "owes" me anything. I get  what I earn.

If you don't fly enough to get AList, you can always buy EBCI or , if available, an A1-A15 position at the gate. 

Beats the heck out of complaining about C1.

BobM
Explorer C

It's all perspective. I salute your 40+ years.  

Lindsey
Adventurer A
Solution

@BobM,

Firstly - as a former SWA Employee, thank you for your years of patronage, truly. 

Second, I have the advantage of having seen behind the scenes how much Southwest actually cares about its Customers. It's unbelievable, really. I don't know of another company that thinks so carefully and thoughtfully about doing the right thing and erring on the side of the Customer. 

The issue is, Southwest is deeply committed to being a low-cost carrier. In order to maintain that model of operation, you have to truly keep rewards to the people who earn them. I think the fact that there is no grandfathering of status is made up by the fact SWA will go out of its way to recognize long-term Customers in other ways. And, like @dfwskier pointed out, there are a couple options available if early boarding is really a sticking point. Your frustration and your quesiton is valid - and so are the reasons for why SWA operates the way it does. Hopefully you won't walk away on account of them - I truly still believe the SWA experience is second to none in commercial aviation. 

@Lindsey
Former Employee, Fan for Life.

SWDigits
Aviator A
On the flip side, it's fascinating for me to read posts on other blogs and forums where some of the posters state they are walking away from their million miler lifetime status due to issues they've experienced with their other selected airlines.

Customer | Home airport DCA

bec102896
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:
On the flip side, it's fascinating for me to read posts on other blogs and forums where some of the posters state they are walking away from their million miler lifetime status due to issues they've experienced with their other selected airlines.

Agreed it is fascinating to see people leave airlines and hotels as well with status like that. My guess is they will come back (at least some of them) after they realize what they are potentially missing because they might start fresh with a new airline or hotel chain. 

shoelessj
Explorer C

I fully agree that WN should recognize years of loyal patronage. For me it is around 30 years (since they began flying out of MDW). It has been exclusively BS and I have had CP for maybe 10 years and A List Preferred all the rest. I have Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime and I only started using Marriott a decade ago. It is nice to think in my retirement travel I would get some recognition for a carreer of flying WN (and being a big cheerleader). Conservatively figure that I have spent around 300,000 with WN (yes I do have valued points that I will retire with).

As customer oriented as WN has been through the years their growth has made them (perhaps understandably) less responsive although I still think they do a creditable job.

Anyway, IMHO they have tested the loyal BS customers with some eye opening fares that can be double what is offered for FC on a legacy carrier. Of course in these cases I reluctantly will make other choices.

I digress however. How about it Southwest.. give some status to long term business customers who made you what you are.  A great idea would be to allow a one or two time a year CP option for their best legacy customers that would mean a lot for retired travelers.

May be give the one or two time options for each year the flyer had CP?

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

We're saddened to know you're feeling under-appreciated for years of loyalty, @shoelessj. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we aren't equipped to assist you here, but we encourage you to submit your thoughts and suggestion via the options in the link below. Thank you!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint

Nicole
Community Manager

BobM
Explorer C

Thanks for the input. I didn't mention in my post that I spent an additional $20 for early bird (return flight) and $30 for A 1-15 on the outgoing to avoid C9 status. This brought my 53 min flight to Buffalo to just shy of $700.   Yes, my choices and out of pocket expense (business travel).  

nostresshere
Adventurer C

Yea, you spent more money and you got there the same time as people that got C10 and higher.

Just sayin.