Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

boarding with 10 year old

cbetz07
Explorer C

this is going to be my first time flying with my 10 year old son. I am worried that we will not be able to sit next to eachother. I have a friend that flew with SW before and she said that people refused to switch seats so her and her daughter could sit next to one another. suggestions? I called and spoke with SW about this and all they said is i could pay the extra 15$ per ticket to check in early and HOPEFULLY get A group check in. but there is no promise that i will get A group.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: boarding with 10 year old

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You will still likely be able to sit together in the B-Group, although not necessarily having your choice of window seats. If you don't opt for Early Bird, be sure to check in exactly 24 hours in advance of the flight to get the best position available.

My experience is mixed - most of the times I have seen people move if a family ends up getting on late in the boarding. You have to ask though, people are less likely to jump up if you don't initiate. You can check with the flight attendant who may also be able to ask on your behalf if it comes to that.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @cbetz07,

Welcome - we're excited to have you and your son flying with us! 

First, I want to put your mind at ease a little about the seating situation. If you speak with one of our Flight Attendants before the flight, they'll be happy to make an announcement asking folks for volunteers to switch seats so that you and your son can sit together. We love our family travelers, and we'll do all that we can to help you enjoy your experience! 

The option that our Representative told you about is Early Bird Checkin, which will automatically reserve your boarding pass 36 hours before the flight. This will grant you an earlier boarding position, as we don't allow general checkin until 24 hours before departure. Alternatively, you can just make sure you are near a computer or have your mobile app pulled up right at the 24 hour mark so you can checkin as early as possible. 

We're honored that you've chosen to take your first flight with us, and we look forward to helping you make some great travel memories!

analuz
Explorer C

Last year I was flying with my 9 year old. I ended up checking in a little late and ended up with a C group. The flight was full and there were no seats together. The flight attendant saw the look on my daughter's face (terrifyed to have to sit with a stranger), and she made an annoucement and coordinated seats so that we could sit together. I have always had very positive experiences with the SouthWest crew in accomodating my daughter and I. 

Ana

Hockeymom2
Explorer C

I was separated from my 11 year old son during a several hour flight. We were at the beginning of C boarding group and was online to check in right at the 24 hour mark. I was flying with my other son as well. I had all the snacks, portable DVD player etc that I had planned on keeping them occupied with. I had to choose which son to send to the back of the plane, so I chose my oldest. He is a nervous flyer so it wasn’t an easy decision.He did not want to be separated from his brother and I and I didn’t want him to sit in a row alone out of my sight. I notified a flight attended and she told me I should have boarded with family boarding. I told her we could not,  as  both my children were older than the age cut off for those families  traveling with children. Additionally, she told me she could not ask people if they would move, that I would have to do it myself. Needless to say, no one would move that I asked. So very disappointing and a bad experience for our family.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@Hockeymom2 I am so sorry for your disappointment and that our Crew wasn't able to assist you and your boys. As a peer-to-peer support forum, we are not equipped to assist you here, but I encourage you to Contact Customer Relations to document your concerns.

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager