Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

early bird refund??

tharless62
Explorer C

I cancelled a trip and also had paid $40 for early bird check in which was NOT CREDITED BACK TO MY FUTURE TRAVEL!!! Thats just rude

9 REPLIES 9

Re: early bird refund??

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

Here is the Southwest wording from the EarlyBird Check-In FAQs (https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=earlybird_checkin?😞

"All EarlyBird Check-In purchases are nonrefundable. Customers who cancel their flight will forfeit the previously purchased EarlyBird Check-In option for that particular flight.

In the event that a flight is cancelled by Southwest, the EarlyBird Check-In purchased for the cancelled flight will be refunded."

Customer | Home airport DCA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As you've learned the hard way, EBCI is non refundable when you cancel a flight. An alternative to canceling your flight is to change it to some other future flight, even one you just book as a placeholder until you finalize your travel plans. When you change flights instead of canceling EBCI stays on the reservation.

--TheMiddleSeat

aparhamjr86
Explorer C

I paid $100 for me and my GF for early bird and when I had to cancel because of the virus I wasnt told that i would lose my $100. If I had been told this I would have just gave them any date just to save my $100 but they want to leave it up to you to try to search their website for the NOT SO EASY cancelation policy for early bird..like who looks when your talking to a southwest agent who should tell you

aparhamjr86
Explorer C

Your agents need to tell people this before they go through with the cancellations..but we all know that you big Corps hope that we dont acknowledge this so you can keep stealing from your customers and then tell them it's in our cancelation policies..Why doesn't your agents tell us that before we actually cancel so that we can just give you future dates of travel and save our early bird!!!! Because we read all cancelled flights will be refunded during this time because of the Virus so we believe that all or $$ will be refunded!! CROOKS!!

ajpyzik
Explorer C

I paid $80 for early bird check in for my wife and I who are both 70. To me it is a rip off. We bought it so we could try and get an aisle seat. Southwest says everyone can buy early bird check in so it is no guarantee you will not end up in a middle seat. I cancelled flight because of the virus. This is a special case. It is only $80 but it is not worth the health of my wife and I. To me giving credit for early check in is the least Southwest could do. A refund would be the answer since Southwest looses nothing by refunding early check in during this crisis. They say they treat customers like royalty but here is another example of the Corporation Policy being a priority versus us common folks.

aparhamjr86
Explorer C

Definitely a rip off!!! I paid $100 and spoke to a Southwest agent who didnt even mention it. All she said was you need to pick another date or cancel, and when your ready all you have to do call us back with the dates and we will already have your money..NOT ONCE was I told that I would forfeit my Early Bird..and once I asked about it she said oh I'm sorry but you will lose that.I said well then I dont want to cancel..she said SORRY TO LATE!!..they are stealing our money and going to get BAILOUT MONEY AS WELL!!

ILTRMB2006
Explorer C

I'm very disappointed with SWA and the early bird.  No refunds on cancellations, I've been burned by this before.  Don't know how or why they would keep this as it is unearned, as I won't even be taking the flight.  Think of the income they are making on cancellations now, or even during normal times.  Not to mention that passengers game the system by only getting one early bird, and save seats for others.  That is the other disappointing part of this.  SWA doesn't enforce the policy that all seats are open seats.  So many times, there are saved seats, even as flights are completely booked.  So, I pay early bird for me and my wife, lose the funds when cancelling the flight, and when I take the flight, continue to see people gaming the system without any repercussions by holding seats for others.  Not sure SWA is worth it anymore, as early bird is now $50 per person.  

wep
Explorer C

I agree with all the posted messages regarding refunding the Early Bird Check-In fee during the pandemic because it is not our fault that we are unable to travel due to the coronavirus. This is the fair and equitable solution for a "service not provided" and would garner a tremendous amount of good will for Southwest from its loyal customers who would trumpet the fact that this airline really is different from its competition in that it really has the back of its customers. Refunding the Early Bird Check-In fee is really a no brainer, and it is surprising that SWA management has not come up with this solution itself in these difficult times.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

While EarlyBird is nonrefundable, we're recommending our Customers impacted by EarlyBird Check-In please contact Customer Relations for consideration by phone at 1-855-234-4654, or any of the options in the link below. Thank you!

Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

Nicole
Community Manager