Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

flying first time with baby

Tyleenmae
Explorer C

Hello I am taking southwest out of Austin to Denver. It will be my 3 month old in my lap/baby carrier. I am bringing my personal suitcase, diaper bag & purse. Along with his carseat. I am "gate checking" the suitcase and car seat, but have a question as to can I bring his baby walker as another baggage? If so how would I go about doing that? It folds down is less than the measurements for b baggage. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: flying first time with baby

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

Great question! While a lap baby does not get a luggage allowance, parents may carry an extra bag for the baby. The walker could count for this if you do not have an additional baby bag. For full logistics on traveling with your little one for the first time, check out https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Traveling-with-Kids-The-Logistics/ta-p/91231.

Nicole
Community Manager

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Tyleenmae wrote:

Hello I am taking southwest out of Austin to Denver. It will be my 3 month old in my lap/baby carrier. I am bringing my personal suitcase, diaper bag & purse. Along with his carseat. I am "gate checking" the suitcase and car seat, but have a question as to can I bring his baby walker as another baggage? If so how would I go about doing that? It folds down is less than the measurements for b baggage. 

Any reason not to check the suitcase earlier in the process at curbside? I think you have two different issues here:

• Boarding the plane you can bring two personal items, plus a bonus baby item such as a diaper bag as carry-on. So purse, walker, and diaper bag seem to be OK for carry-on.*
  • Checked baggage you get two free items included with your ticket, plus you can check two additional baby gear items for free such as car seat and/or stroller. (or the baby walker?) These items can be checked curbside, at the ticket counter, or gate check. Gate check is handy as it seems to reduce the already low rate of misplacement, other than you have to carry the items through the airport. **

* retail bags from the airport concourse are also not supposed to count i.e. you can bring a bag of food for the flight from the airport restaurants that doesn't count against you, unless it is stinky food.

** although the lap child doesn't get extra carry-on allowance, I was always under the impression that they could check up to two suitcases even without a ticket, having only a boarding verification document, separately from the two items of baby gear.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

asadanwar8
Explorer C

I'm also looking for the best baby walker for my baby. However, I have read some best reviews of baby walkers on some blogs.