Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

30 minute window to change plane

dazhan
Explorer C

I'm flying from houston, tx flight number 26 to sacramento and changing planes in dallas, tx. i arrive in Dallas at 1:30 and plane in dallas departs to sacramento at 2:05 flight number 5984. how close is the gate to make sure i get on board it leaves to sacramento?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 30 minute window to change plane

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Well, that depends on which gate you arrive at and which gate you are to depart from. There's no way to determne that now. 

Love Field is a smaller airport with only 20 gates - 10 left and 10 right of the entry way. Worst case is if you get in at the far end of one side, and depart from the far end of the other side. That;s maybe a 10 minute walk.  Then you have to allow for the time in getting off of the arriving aircraft.

I think it's a given that you won't get to your departure gate until  after boarding has started. So if you have an A boarding position, it won't be worth much.

Advice would be to get a seat as close as possible to the front of the plane on the flight out of HOU.

A middle seat in row 3 would be worth more than an aisle in row 10 - so you can get off the plane and to your departure gate as soon as possible

If Southwest booked the connection, then Southwest thinks that it's doable, so unless your flight out of HOU is delayed, you should make your connection. The question is what kind of seat will you have. .

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Well, that depends on which gate you arrive at and which gate you are to depart from. There's no way to determne that now. 

Love Field is a smaller airport with only 20 gates - 10 left and 10 right of the entry way. Worst case is if you get in at the far end of one side, and depart from the far end of the other side. That;s maybe a 10 minute walk.  Then you have to allow for the time in getting off of the arriving aircraft.

I think it's a given that you won't get to your departure gate until  after boarding has started. So if you have an A boarding position, it won't be worth much.

Advice would be to get a seat as close as possible to the front of the plane on the flight out of HOU.

A middle seat in row 3 would be worth more than an aisle in row 10 - so you can get off the plane and to your departure gate as soon as possible

If Southwest booked the connection, then Southwest thinks that it's doable, so unless your flight out of HOU is delayed, you should make your connection. The question is what kind of seat will you have. .

Concur with @dfwskier - as long as flights are on time you'll make your flight no problem, even taking time for a restroom and grab a coffee...but you might be one of the last people to board if you get to the gate and the A's and maybe B's are already on the plane.

In that situation if you have an A-number, jump in line as politely as you can.

If you have a C-number, probably nothing lost!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Thanks for posting your question on the Community, @dazhan! Hope you enjoy your brief stop at the home of LUV!