Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

5:30 AM Flight

mckivigl
Explorer C

I am looking at and will probably purchase a ticket for a 5:30 AM flight out of Pittsburgh to a US destination.  I was wondering what time the luggage check would open for a flight that early.  I know most places say to be at the airport 2 hours early but will anyone even be there to take my luggage at 3:30 AM?  

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 5:30 AM Flight

egossens
Explorer C

I have not flown out of Pittsburgh, but I would be shocked if you really needed to be at the airport at 3:30am for a 5:30am domestic flight. I've taken plenty of early flights out of DCA (Washington, DC's National Airport), and arriving an hour early is plenty of time. The key is to check in online (which opens up 24 hours in advance, and is how you secure a good boarding position), and when you get to the airport all you need to do is print out your baggage tags and hand over your two bags.

If you want to double check, I would call the Pittsburgh airport to confirm, but honestly, arriving an hour early is plenty of time for an early morning domestic flight, assuming you've already checked in online.

Nickerz07
Explorer C

Did you take this trip yet? I'm currently having the same dilemma and need to book my parking. I hate to add stress to travel so while I feel like 90 mins should be enough I don't want to bank on it. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Midway for reference does actually open at 3:30 a.m. for security. For a 5:55 a.m. flight yesterday I came in at 5 a.m. no problems with carry-on and had time for breakfast and coffee.

60-90 minutes should be ample for domestic flights at that time of day and to check luggage.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.