Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Baggage fees???

Travel_Junkie92
Explorer C

At check in my travel case was over weight by 2-3 lbs. So I was charged $75.00 for the bag I was checking. I asked the customer service gal at the counter why do I pay for an over weight bag. She said it had to do with fuel consumption. I then put my carry on bag on the scale and it to was over weight by 10 lbs. But she said since it's a carry on I would not be charged....seems odd. Thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Baggage fees???

dfwskier
Aviator A

The airlines work in strange ways is the best answer to your question.

So why didn't you open your checked bag and simply pull out 2-3 ponds of stuff so that the bag would not be overweight?

Re: Baggage fees???

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Travel_Junkie92 wrote:

At check in my travel case was over weight by 2-3 lbs. So I was charged $75.00 for the bag I was checking. I asked the customer service gal at the counter why do I pay for an over weight bag. She said it had to do with fuel consumption. I then put my carry on bag on the scale and it to was over weight by 10 lbs. But she said since it's a carry on I would not be charged....seems odd. Thoughts?

Mainly: Take about 3.1 lbs out of your suitcase and put it in your carry-on?

Fuel usage might be one of the answers, also the wear and tear on baggage handlers. Not that 2-3 lbs is a significant increase over the limit, but Southwest's operation benefits all around to discourage overweight luggage.

At most airports they don't want you to pay, they'd rather just have 49.9 lbs bags show up all day.

Funny story curbside at MCO one time...had one at 52 lbs and one at 48 lbs...juggle, juggle, juggle, one small item into my carry on....voila! both came in 49.8 lbs with only the one iteration.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.