Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding position

koolkats3
Explorer C

It seems odd that I got the same boarding position of C-5 when I checked in exactly 24 hours in advance for return flight that I got for checking in only 16 hours in advance on original flight.

I called and they said it was possible because of all the a-listers and pre bought check ins. 

I have flown SW enough to know that I should have gotten a B position on this flight.

Anyone else have this experience?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Boarding position

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@koolkats3 wrote:

It seems odd that I got the same boarding position of C-5 when I checked in exactly 24 hours in advance for return flight that I got for checking in only 16 hours in advance on original flight.

I called and they said it was possible because of all the a-listers and pre bought check ins. 

I have flown SW enough to know that I should have gotten a B position on this flight.

Anyone else have this experience?

Even 24-hours in advance there have been people on the board getting high B or low C positions. It is hard to say without the specifics, if it is a business flyer route there could be A-listers filling up all of the A's and into the B's, and early birds taking half the B's, and then everyone signing on right at T-24 competing for the remainder of the B's.

I know my wife has gotten C-numbers several times checking in right at T-24.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@koolkats3 wrote:

Sorry, there's just no way to know or predict what boarding position you should get without having access to flight load information. Yes, we all can see trends on routes we fly often, but you just never know when that large group is flying or some other anomaly is going to happen that shifts all the "norms". Also keep in mind that there are more A-Listers later in the year as you have people that had status all year and all the people that earned status during the year.

--TheMiddleSeat

Tom_Bl
Explorer C

Getting ahead in line: Those in line by number are usually friendly and cooperative. But that is not always the case. As I tried to get in the correct numbered position I found another passenger who would not tell me his number. I suspect it was just a way of butting ahead of me in the line.

Any suggestions?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Tom_Bl wrote:

Getting ahead in line: Those in line by number are usually friendly and cooperative. But that is not always the case. As I tried to get in the correct numbered position I found another passenger who would not tell me his number. I suspect it was just a way of butting ahead of me in the line.

Any suggestions?

Well, there really is no way to know.

If he is clearly in the wrong group (B trying to board in A,   or an A31-60 trying to board in A1-30, then the boarding agent will likely stop him and tell him to board when he should.

I personally just try to get close to where I should be. So if I'm A43 , I just get in the A41-45 slot. It doesn't make a whole lot of difference if I'm the 41st , 43rd, or 45th (or 60th for that matter) person to board.

tpegan1
Explorer A

When you're checking in a matter of a couple minutes can make the difference between a mid B and a C.  There are a lot of Southwest flyers watching the clock and pressing the enter button on their computer at exactly 24 hours prior.  Another Southwest policy that doesn't make a lot of sense.  In the old day you were giving priority based upon showing up at the airport earlier.  Incentivizing people to arrive early actually provides some benefit to Southwest.  I don't understand what is gained by this current policy. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The current boarding policy allows A) Customers to avoid having to be present at the airport early in order to gain a good position, and (most importantly) B) Southwest to monetize the boarding process. 😉