Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can I babywear on the plane? Stroller/car seat at gate check in

helikapter
Explorer C

Anyone have recent experience with this?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Can I babywear on the plane? Stroller/car seat at gate check in

SWDigits
Aviator A

Someone else will need to chime in with their experience though I am able point you to the info on the Southwest web site. Super short versions: You are able to fly with a lap child (under two years of age) and you are able to check both a stroller and a car seat at the curb, counter, or gate for free (in addition to the normal baggage allowance).

One item to note from the policies listed below that I may apply based on your question: "Note: Devices that tie the child to another person are prohibited for taxi, takeoff, and landing..."

These Southwest pages have additional detail about birth certificate requirements for a lap child and additional options for purchasing a seat:

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Gate check works great. You get two additional free items per baby, so these could be the stroller and car seat, or if you purchase one of the Southwest blue bags you may put both items in the one bag. 

You'll carry the items down to the aircraft doorway and leave them there for the baggage handler to grab them and stow them underneath.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify that you'll pick them up in this same position - don't rush off of the plane if you are seated to the front as the items may not be there yet and you'll be plugging up the jetbridge holding a baby. I suggest to wait until at least half the passengers are disembarked before heading up the aisle.

Make sure to get a gate check tag in advance of boarding so that you are all ready to drop the item, presumably during family boarding. You don't want to hear the call for family boarding and not have your items tagged yet which will mean a trip back to the gate counter.

Babywear is a yes except during takeoff and landing. I'm not clear on the impact of the seatbelt light - if the light is on, would babywear be allowed then - I'm not sure.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

You might also reference a similar conversation here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder