Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking Backpacking-Style Backpack?

sydneymmartinez
Explorer C

Hey There - I'm headed out for some international travel, and was worried about checking my backpack. But, have heard other travelers say that this isnt a problem, so I wasnt sure. I guess I was mostly worried that a strap would get caught on something, or zipper, etc. and rip? But I've also heard that there are plastic bags that the agent cant wrap around the back prior to checking it? 

If anyone has experience with this, LMK?

Thanks! 🙂

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Checking Backpacking-Style Backpack?

doloreswhite
Explorer C

have the same question/concern, traveling next week, has anyone responded to this?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I'm sure I've seen these come on luggage carousels before, but afraid that I don't know the details or whether it would be standard for the ticket agent to be able to wrap it in plastic for you.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @doloreswhite,

Moderator here, but I do have some experience traveling with a backpack. I have an actual "backpacking" backpack that I use for most of my short trips, and have gone through Europe with twice. 

I've never had issues with checking it. There are some backpack covers you can purchase at places like REI, and that's not a bad way to go if you're worried about straps getting caught in the conveyor belts. Alternatively, you can drop your backpack in a large trash bag and that will keep the straps contained as well. 

Happy Traveling!