Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Check In

Mscannata
Explorer C

I do not understand how someone who did not purchase early bird check in gets an earlier boarding position then me who did purchase early boarding? This does not seem right. 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Early Bird Check In

franktravel
Aviator B

There are a few reasons... Here is one, Customers who have purchased Anytime Fares will receive priority over Customer’s who purchase Early Bird with other fare types (Wana Get Away)

Janet4
Explorer B

Thanks for the clairification.  I always do the EB but only the "Wanna Getaway" purchase. I know see the difference.  My position will vary, but I usually get an A 16-60. I have never got EB with too many B positions.  Its okay... especially with A boarding as there are pretty good seat selections.

Daarsees
Explorer C

My understanding is this: regardless of ticket type manual checkins continue in the sequence and don't jump to the A1-15 positions unless that's all that's left. I book flights for everyone in our company and always do wanna get away with EB and almost always have a A position. I've only had a B or C if I've had to change a flight and missed the precheck in time. A1-15 is reserved for business select. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

A-list and A-list preferred are also in front of Early Bird, so if you have a route that is business-heavy there may be a higher percentage of A-list people in front of you as well.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Mscannata
Explorer C

I understand A list etc. But do not agree with reissuing position to non A list etc. customers. Also saving seats is a big NO NO in my opinion. 

Jikker
Explorer B

What about family members that booked seperately?  My sister and I fly together and we book our tickets seperate so that we can each pay our own way.  When we check in, I might get B20 and she gets B48.  I just go in and save a seat so we can sit together.  Seems unfair that people would get seperated from flying together simply because of a slower internet connection.

If you're saving a seat for someone that you just ran into, I agree that it's wrong, but families and friends traveling together should be allowed to sit together.  It's just 1 or 2 seats; I'm sure there's another good aisle or window seat elsewhere unless you're coming in really late.

Mscannata
Explorer C

I agree that I would want to sit with family members. To do that, you should board with your sister in the B48 position.  Saving a seat is not fair to people with boarding positions between you and your sister. In fact, Southwest makes a boarding announcement suggesting this. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Mscannata wrote:

I agree that I would want to sit with family members. To do that, you should board with your sister in the B48 position.  Saving a seat is not fair to people with boarding positions between you and your sister. In fact, Southwest makes a boarding announcement suggesting this. 

While Southwest does suggest you board together at the later number, Southwest also allows seat saving.

I believe most people would have no problem with someone saving a single seat for another person, especially since that single seat would most likely be a middle one.

This has actually been suggested many many times as one of the seat saving compromises that could be included in an official policy.

Unfortunately, Southwest declines to create a policy, effectively allowing seat saving. Which leads to things like customers saving multiple seats, entire rows, and even entire exit rows.

😞

Parnassianstrip
Explorer C

What isn't "fair" is that you expect that others shouls have to adjust their seating for your personal financial arrangements.  If a family wants to sit together, they should book and check in together and should cetainly purchase EB.  Then reimburse each other.   Saving seats is just rude and makes others responsible for your personal choices.