Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Early Bird Check in is a SCAM!!!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Understood. Did you double check the boarding passes? If EBCI dropped off, you deserve a refund of the fee.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I would sing a little song....but.....

ggrix0bg8
Explorer C

charging people extra for position is fraud if you do not provide information about what they are buying. southwest knows exactly how many people have already paid for early bird before they sell it to the next person. they should legally be required to disclose what you are buying.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@ggrix0bg8 wrote:

charging people extra for position is fraud if you do not provide information about what they are buying. 

Southwest does disclose what you are buying

1) a better boarding position than everyone that checks in manually

2) the convenience of not worrying about not manually checking in

that's it

If you don't like the product, then don't buy it.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Request a refund.

JameGumb
Explorer C

I agree to a certain degree but for other reasons. I realize that seats 1-15 are always available for upgrades. I choose to use Early Bird because I do not always have the opportunity to "check in" 24 hours prior to a flight. But yes, Early Bird is no longer an effective means of guaranteeing a proper seat.

The biggest problem is that people will pay for one early bird seat and then "hold" seats for the rest of their party. It's ridiculous.

I now go out of my way to challenge people. If somebody is attempting to hold three seats I will tell them that I am sitting there. That person has paid for a single seat and obviously does not have to move. But I'll be darned if they are going to prevent me from sitting there.

If you want to hold a row of seats then go to the back of the plane. Otherwise, I'll be sitting next to you. The flight attendants know the ruse. They know what's going on and they choose to ignore it  and/or be complicent it this ruse. That's unacceptable. Stand your ground I say. 

I will not try to break up families or anything like that, but again, you are more than welcome to grab a row in the back of the plane to ensure that you sit together. 

I have contacted SWA several times regarding this matter and they consistently fail to remedy the situation. They typically sent out a reply indicating that people enjoy the open seating policy. This response ignores the situation.

I used to really enjoy flying SWA. The employees were friendly. The flights were on time. The experience was good. Things have really taken a 180 degree turn. I am at the point where I am going to cancel my SWA card, burn up all my points, and fly with a different carrier.