Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Check-in

smart1498
Explorer C

Can the early bird check-in option be purchased with points?

I used points to purchase my elderly parents round trip tickets to Florida in February.  I was concerned about their ability to check-in promptly at the 24 hr mark and didn't want them to have to be separated due to seat availability, if they assigned late and separated boarding numbers. Due to connections for their flights the early bird option added $60 to the ticket price, I would have preferred to use points to purchase this option for them.  Is there a way that points can be used for this?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Early Bird Check-in

franktravel
Aviator B

No not at this time.

If they are elderly and need more time boarding the plane, they may want to ask to pre board. 

Good luck. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

No. EarlyBird Check-In exists as a revenue generator for Southwest, so you can only purchase it using a credit card. The fee is $15 per person each way, regardless of the number of connections.

If they do become separated at boarding, the first to board can save a seat for the other one. Southwest allows seat saving.

Note that, if they ask to preboard because they need more time to board, they will be told to board after Family Boarding (between A and B groups). The criteria for preboarding includes disability requiring the necessity of a specific seat, and/or assistance boarding the plane.

smart1498
Explorer C

Thank you for these tips.  I really appreciate the help.