Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird check in, Pros and Cons

Jstuhl1836
Explorer C

I'm a first time flyer on SWA and am taking a flight from LAX-BWI (Baltimore) round trip next month. The EBCI is 25 dollars each way. I'm debating if I need it or not

I've researched it online with no clear answer. I've set alarms before to 24 hour check in mark to be ready. If it helps,  my flight out of LAX is 12:25 pm on a Wednesday and out of Baltimore the next Tuesday at 7:15 pm. Thanks in advance for your help. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Early Bird check in, Pros and Cons

dfwskier
Aviator A

Early bird is best bought when the ticket is bought. Why? Becasue EBCI boarding spots are assigned based on when the EBCI was bought.

At this pont, I'd advise just checking in as close to 24 hours prior to flight time as possible. Chances are you'll secure a boarding spot that will allo you to choose an aisle or window seat somehere on the plane. At least that is what normally happens to others who do that.

Jstuhl1836
Explorer C

I recently bought the ticket. Iz it still worth it? I really don't want a middle seat for a five hour flight. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jstuhl1836 wrote:

I recently bought the ticket. Iz it still worth it? I really don't want a middle seat for a five hour flight. 

There is really no way to know the answer to your question. If you reaslly have a seriouas concern, then by all means go ahead and buy it.

duffintx
Explorer C

This is absolutely true.  You are wasting your money if you purchase the Early Bird check in any time after you have purchased your ticket.  I purchased Early Bird a few days before the scheduled flight - ticket had been purchased previously - because I had developed a physical aliment making it difficult for me to walk.  I was travelling with another person so I purchased Early Bird for both passengers at a cost of $80 ($20 each way round trip).  It was totally a waste of money as I was still in the B group for boarding.  So the plane was already half full by the time I boarded and I still had to walk to the back of the plane.  To be fair,  I did speak with customer service and they compensated me (or at least said they would - supposed to received vouchers in a couple of weeks), but I still feel it should be made clear that Early Bird check-in - especially if purchased after you purchase your ticket, does not guarantee early boarding.  In fact if you purchase your ticket shortly before the flight, I am guessing that would also be a waste since the Early Bird line up is based on when you purchased your ticket.  So your best chances would be to purchase your ticket well in advance and purchase the Early Bird seating when you purchase your ticket.  Otherwise, you may well fare better setting an alarm and checking in at the 24 hr mark prior to takeoff.

Jstuhl1836
Explorer C

Thanks for the help. I've set alarms and I'll my chances with regular boarding. In essence, there wasn't a large cost difference between SWA and Delta or AA, but they didn't have non stops and I'd have to pay for baggage. Pros and cons with every airline. BTW, how much space if any is there in the seat in front of you for a carry on?

dfwskier
Aviator A

I think you made the right choice. Remember that 66.7% of the seats on the plane are aisle or window. So ulness you end up above B40 or so, you'll likely get an aisle or window seat somehere on th plane..

Also, you do have the option of  buying any available A1-A15 seats at the gate.

Jstuhl1836
Explorer C

I'll get to the airport early enough,  but not sure I'm that desperate. I saw the carry on I'll be taking can really fit in a  overhead compartment. Does that warrant a better seat?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Jstuhl1836 wrote:

I'll get to the airport early enough,  but not sure I'm that desperate. I saw the carry on I'll be taking can really fit in a  overhead compartment. Does that warrant a better seat?

Nope

Jstuhl1836
Explorer C

Thanks for all your help. I may just buy it out of BWI since I  don't know where I'll be at 7:15 p.m. on the day before the flight. I could still be touring or having dinner and not hear the alarm. Going out of LA I know where I'll be.