Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird check-in on 2 segment flights

Cats119
Explorer C

I purchased the early Bird Chek-In option for a flight next week that s a 1 stop flight. I found out today, we actually have to change planes. Does this mean I only have Early bird on the first segment of the flight? Or do they chek us in for both segments automatically?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Early Bird check-in on 2 segment flights

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi there Cats119, 

You will be checked in for both of the flight segments with your EarlyBird purchase. Thanks for stopping by the Southwest Community to ask your question!

pjmrch
Explorer C

Why then, is early bird taken away when a flight has been delayed or missed due to delay?  This happened twice to me recently and I was given a C boarding pass and "allowed" to purchase an upgrade AND call customer service for a refund???  My husband was also given a C when he is an A list.  No customer service there.

anonymoususer1
Explorer C

All Early bird does is checks you in 36 hours before the flight, 12 hours before the rest of the passengers who did not buy earlybird.  If your flight is rebooked for that day then there is no reason to have earlybird.  When checking in on SWA you are automatically assigned the next boarding position, so in your case the C position you received was the next available position.  All though you are being inconvenienced, I'm sure southwest can't take a boarding position from someone who paid for that specific flight.  In my experience, I  have seen SW allow passengers who purchased early bird and there flight was canceled to board between A and B as a courtesy.  If your flight is canceled I believe your earlybird is automatically refunded.  Your husband should of boarded between A and B as an a list preferred member.