Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird

bakerbaker622
Explorer C

when purchasing early bird at time of booking, how is the position giving. When I purchased 2 tickets at the same time and purchased early bird One of us had an A position and the other had C. I purchase early bird to assure that I will be seated with my husband. Also with early bird purchase are the seating positions determined when the flight was purchased or when you checked in.?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Early Bird

bdoyle
Explorer C

This sounds like you received early bird for one but not for the other.  You would not receive C boarding with early bird

ddart
Explorer B

Suggest going to Southwest.com, scroll down home page and click on Early Bird.  From there, go to the FAQ section, answers to your questions are there.  It sounds like you may have purchased the early bird just once for yourself - when buying more than one ticket each early bird purchase is done separately.  I have done this quite a few times with my wife and have never had an issue like that.  Also, if any changes were made to your husband's reseervation after purchase there is a possibility of losing the bird status depending on the reason for change.  Hope this helps.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

ddart:

bakerbaker622 mentioned"purchasing early bird at time of booking."

When you make a multi-passenger reservation, you can only purchase EBCI for all passengers on that reservation.

This is from the FAQ you referenced.  😉

ebci.png

chgoflyer
Aviator A

EarlyBird Check-In positions are assigned based on the purchase date. If you bought EBCI for both reservations at the same time, then it's likely the EBCI dropped off one of them through an infamous Southwest "glitch." (Although it is possible to get a C boarding pass with EBCI, as Southwest places no limit on how many they will sell per flight.)

Check your printed boarding passes -- do they both say "EarlyBird Check-In"? If not, then it did drop off. If that's the case, Southwest Customer Relations will refund the fee.

Whoever has the A boarding pass can simply save a seat for the other person. Southwest allows seat saving.

jeichas
Explorer C

You can go back at anytime and check for early bird on your receipt, there will be either a square outlined in green saying EB or something that looks like a sun rising.  Make sure you have checked each traveler when purchasing the early bird.  I book my flights, and then go back in to add the EB. 

I hope you have better luck in the future!