Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early bird checkin boarding position

mzviney73
Explorer C

I purchased early bird check in but I can not see what position I was "assigned"  until 24 hr before the flight, and even then I have to go through the "check in" to get the boarding pass. How do I know if I was actually assigned a boarding position from early check in or just by checking in to get the boarding pass. Southwest need to change that. If I paid to check in early, I want to know my position early. At no time between 36 to 24 hr before the flight does it say " you have been assigned position (insert here), you can print your pass starting 24 hr prior to flight". Why is there no notification that your position has been assigned? How do I know if anything went wrong and now  I will need to have the enter button ready to click exactly 24hrs prior to get a decent seat. I do enjoy flying with Southwest, but they need to improve Early bird check in.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Early bird checkin boarding position

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No one, not even A List or A List Preferred passengers who have priority over EarlyBird passengers can see their boarding position until 24 hours before the flight. Your purchase of EarlyBird Check-In is reflected on the individual passengers associated with the reservation online and on the boarding passes. If you made the purchase and see EarlyBird associated with the passengers in the reservation you do not need to check-in exactly at 24 hours before the flight. You could wait until you arrive at the airport to get your boarding pass and it won't change your boarding position. 

mzviney73
Explorer C

That was my point, if you have paid for the privilege to get a seat position before everyone else, I would like to know what that position is before everyone else . Although you are assigned your position 36 hr before your flight and there isn't a NEED to check in 24 hr prior, I want a notification that tells me the position I was assigned when it's assiged.

There is a symbol that indicate early bird check in, but there are also glitches that happen and it may miss it, or it wasn't included correctly..... anything can happen and I don't get checked in early (I would get a refund.... great) but I would like to know that before I get to the airport. I have the SW app and I can get my boarding pass anytime but I don't want to assume it happened, check in late, and get a seat I don't want. 

I love flying southwest, I usually need to check 2 bags, I like early bird check in, because I like to get on early to get the seat I want and they usually arrive at the destination eatly, I would like to be notified when my Early bird position is assiged AND what it is. I hope southwest would consider that as an option.

ammarth
Explorer C

I am extremely disappointed with the early bird checkin. I feel it was a complete waste of money.  I paid for early bird checkin for my husband only.  Knowing he had a "reserved" checkin spot and had his own confirmation number, I did not feel the need to purchase an early bird checkin for myself.  So, I checked in myself first before checking in my husband exactly 24 hours prior.  I was assigned A48 for the first leg of the trip and B11 for the second.  To my surprise, my husband was assigned A46 and B3!!! There is absolutely no advantage to early bird checkin and is a money waster, in my opinion.  I will not be utilizing this service again.  $30 spent for what? 

bsouza01
Explorer C

I agree.  You spend the extra money and many times you are not getting a position any better than getting your boarding pass at the 24 hr mark.  I feel that Southwest has been letting us down lately.  They aren't the airlines they used to be!!!