Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early bird checkin

Memere
Explorer C

I have purchased early bird check in for myself and my husband. Do I still go online 24 hrs before my flight to check in? The online explanation of early bird check in is confusing a bit. 

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Early bird checkin

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Early Bird will assign your positions 36 hours prior to departure. You can check yourselves in (and see what positions you've been assigned) beginning 24 hours prior to departure. You can do this online, or at the airport. Hope this helps!

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Memere

@chgoflyer gave a really great explanation of how Early Bird works, but let us know if you've still got questions! 

secondstomper
Explorer C

These reply are not helpful at all . "Online" where exactly on the website?

There is NO place on the website of that states something to the effect of "Early Bird - Print Boarding Pass".

I just spent 20 frustrating minutes on the website and ended up calling the help number for the web site. She was not much help either.

At ends up that the way to "Print an Early Bird Boarding Pass is to click on Check-In!"

There is no mention that even though you are ALREADY checked in via the Early Bird, you need to click on the Check-In AGAIN to see your boarding pass and you will not loose your place in line.

Please fix the website.

Lulu
Explorer C

Still the same problem today. My wife bought early check in. I tried to early check in at about 35 hours and it said not able to. Called cusomer service and they said we were checked in and could print the boarding pass at 24 hours. I couldn't find a place to print the boarding pass only so she checked in again at 23 hours 59 minutes and got a B number. It didn't say anything about already having a boarding pass Seems like a lot of people must qualify or bought early check in.

We just threw away the charge for early boarding. Fly United for a few extra bucks and not mess with this

franktravel
Aviator B

"EarlyBird Check-In is a low-cost option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in. You’ll have the benefit of an earlier boarding position. As an EarlyBird Check-In Customer, you will have a better opportunity to select your preferred available seat and have earlier access to overhead bin storage for your carryon luggage"

"While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat."

"EarlyBird Check-In Customers will have their boarding positions reserved beginning 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. Boarding Passes can be accessed beginning 24 hours prior to the flight's scheduled local departure time."

"Customers who have purchased Anytime Fares will receive priority over Customer’s who purchase Early Bird with other fare types. Boarding positions are assigned based on the time stamp of the EarlyBird Check-In purchase relative to passengers within the same fare class."

geohud
Explorer C

Why even advertise the 36 hours when "us" EB's will not know till 24 hours before the flight(same as everyone else) anyway. Sorry! I dont see the advantages. I already new the advantages when I bought the EB. Maybe you all could let us eb'er's print them 36 hours before instead of 24 hours. 

Really does'nt matter anyway. I thought I was getting a new Perk. Still Love you SW!!

Where did the 36 hours come from anyway? 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@geohudwrote:

Why even advertise the 36 hours when "us" EB's will not know till 24 hours before the flight(same as everyone else) anyway. Sorry! I dont see the advantages. I already new the advantages when I bought the EB. Maybe you all could let us eb'er's print them 36 hours before instead of 24 hours. 

Really does'nt matter anyway. I thought I was getting a new Perk. Still Love you SW!!

Where did the 36 hours come from anyway? 

If you buy EBCI, you are automatically checked in at t-36, which is 12 hours before everyone else can check themselves in at t-24.

The advantage is that you are checked in before everyone else.

geohud
Explorer C

Checking in first and early should have already been that way. That's why we purchace the EB. To me EB is first come, first serve.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying, but perhaps you don't understand what EarlyBird Check-In is, or does?

EarlyBird Check-In automatically checks in those who have purchased it, and assigns positions based on the order of EBCI purchase.

If you've purchased EBCI, it doesn't matter when you actually check in, since your position is already assigned.

"First come, first served" applies to regular, 24-hour check in, as positions are assigned based on the order of check in at t-24 hours.

Hope this helps.