Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Early bird checkin

Dp1988
Explorer C

I added (paid $15.00) for my reservation (flight tomorrow) and still got a B-23 assiginment.  I am not seeing the value in the purchase of this feature as the last time I flew SW I got B-16 checking in without Early Bird.  It appears from the web info I could find, if I paid $40 or $50 I would be assured an early A boarding position, but paying just $15 apparently is not sufficient.  I am feeling very misled about this supposed convenience option.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

Early bird check in boarding positions are assigned 36 hours prior to flight time. 

People with connecting flights who check in themselves get their connecting boarding positions assigned more than 24 hours before departure.

So it you waited til say 26 hours before your flight to buy your early bird, then it is entirely possible

that people mentioned in paragraph 2 got some of the better spots you might have gotten had you bought sooner. Likewise if you bought less than 24 hours prior to departure, other people who had already checked in got better spots.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Dp1988 wrote:

I added (paid $15.00) for my reservation (flight tomorrow) and still got a B-23 assiginment.  I am not seeing the value in the purchase of this feature as the last time I flew SW I got B-16 checking in without Early Bird.  It appears from the web info I could find, if I paid $40 or $50 I would be assured an early A boarding position, but paying just $15 apparently is not sufficient.  I am feeling very misled about this supposed convenience option.  

RR-xxxxxxxxx

You may want to edit your post so that RR# isn't visible. 

That's not a great result, but I'm not sure it isn't atypical with A-list and other factors. Hopefully it would tend to be a little better.

The question shouldn't be where did you land, but rather where would you have been without the EBCI - we can't answer that question unfortunately as we don't know if you would have checked in right at 24 hours, how many other passengers had this flight as a connection, and other reasons that it would vary from flight to flight.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.