Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First time flying alone in 21 years, a bit scared.

Vegheadchef
Explorer C

First time flying alone in 21 years. The last time, I was with my dad so he helped calm my fears. I am not sure where to go first when I arrive at LAX. How do I stay calm during the flight? Any advice is welcomed.

Thank you kindly

5 REPLIES 5

Re: First time flying alone in 21 years, a bit scared.

spynnonen
Explorer C

Southwest flies out of Terminal 1 at LAX. Keep in mind that many people don't travel often and airports are designed with that in mind. Read the signage. It is generally very clear where to go. First - check your bags. Second - go through security. Third - head to your gate. If you're unsure about something, ask a Southwest agent and they'll point you in the right direction. You won't be bothering them. They deal with people who rarely fly or have never flown every single day. Give yourself ample time before your flight boards so you won't feel rushed and anxious.

I usually listen to music and close my eyes on my flights. I don't usually manage to sleep but I zone out and just let my mind turn off. Even though it's intimidating, flying is a very safe way to travel. If you don't think you can sleep or relax, try distracting yourself by watching a movie or videos or reading a good book. The flight will be over before you know it.

Vegheadchef
Explorer C

Thank you.Smiley Happy

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

This may or may not apply to you, but you'll find that the airport lounges and also inflight that adult beverages are available regardless of time of day (maybe not super early at the airport)...if you think one might be relaxing you can go for it. The "before noon" rule doesn't apply at the airport.

Music and books are always good too.

I think decide ahead of time if you'll be trying to see out the window or to not see out the window according to your needs - here is the seating map to help you think about the options. Or get a C group number and take a middle 🙂

737-700: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-700_new.php

737-800: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-800_new.php

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

necrat
Explorer C

The advice given in this thread has been top notch, so I'd just like to add a couple of extra items.

When you board the plane, let the flight attendant know you're nervous. They may also help you to relax too. 

Also LAX is a fantastic airport. It's big but so well marked, and easy to get around. I found it to be one of the best airports I've flown in and out of. Well marked, the people are VERY friendly there, and easy to navigate. It's big, however, so you'll get some major steps in that day.

I've flown a dozen or so times by myself. I kind of prefer it, as I can just listen to some music in peace to myself while flying. Even if the flight is a little bumpy, the music makes it a breeze.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@necrat, thanks for adding these great suggestions to the thread! Hope to see more posts from you in the Community!