Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Guitar case check-in

CGforme
Explorer C

Will I be charged for my guitar case if I checked it in?  The total linear dimension is 66" (if you measure only at the widest points).  The case is more like a triangle than a rectangle though.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Guitar case check-in

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You'd be much better off carrying it on if you can. Here's Southwest's policy regarding instruments which has the maximum size allowed for carry-on. From the policy it appears you can check one instrument as one of your two free checked bags regardless of size, but again, I wouldn't do that if you don't have to.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_lug...

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

Heh, this is a TRUE story: several years ago I flew to a music festival and won a festival-themed guitar (only one is made and raffled each year, at this festival). No guitar case, just the guitar itself. No way in heck was I going to let it out of my sight. I was tweeting Southwest in addition to talking to the lady at the gate, and explained the situation, and they gave me an entire overhead bin to myself for my guitar 😄 Thank *goodness* my connecting flight did not have to deplane! It was quite the experience, but with that said, if I can bring a guitar, you should be able to bring a guitar + case on board 😉 

--Jessica

floridaguy
Aviator C

Yeah, Southwest goes to great lengths to provide great service and people squabble over preboarding, late flights, and so on.  Let them fly another airline.