Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How do I know I got early bird check in?

rfreschner
Explorer C

I purchased early bird check in for a flight and when I checked on my flight 24 hours ahead of time, I had the option to check in.  Does that option still show up when you should have already been checked in?  My boarding position was pretty poor, but that could have been from a lot of people doing early bird check in and the fact that I purchased it pretty late. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: How do I know I got early bird check in?

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

EarlyBird Check-In Customers will have their boarding positions reserved beginning 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled departure time. Boarding Passes can be accessed beginning 24 hours prior to the flight's scheduled local departure time.  When you go to print your pass beginning  24hrs before you flight you will need to click on "check in".  Your boarding position was assigned to you by Southwest in the 36hr using the guidelines below. 

While EarlyBird Check-In doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.

Customers who have purchased Anytime Fares will receive priority over Customer’s who purchase Early Bird with other fare types. Boarding positions are assigned based on the time stamp of the EarlyBird Check-In purchase relative to passengers within the same fare class.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

If you received EarlyBird Check-In, it will say it on your boarding pass. 😉

rfreschner
Explorer C

Thanks, @chgoflyer.  I just checked my boarding passes online from my Mac and see that it shows Early Bird check in.  The Southwest app (iOS) on my phone does not show that.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Oh yes -- sorry, I should have been more specific and said "printed boarding pass." I'm not sure why the mobile boarding passes don't indicate EarlyBird. Your not-great position is likely then a result of you buying EBCI late, since positions are assigned in order of purchase.

rfreschner
Explorer C

Yes, it probably is.  Must be lots of folks heading to where I am.

nphd
Explorer C

It'll say on your boarding pass right under your boarding position:

earlybird.PNG

ptrcke
Explorer C

It's too early for a boarding pass.  Do I and my wife have early bird boarding? 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You may want to delete your confirmation numbers, for security reasons.

On the website, next to the passenger name, there will be a small sunrise icon under the "Extras" column if you have EarlyBird Check-In.

Screen Shot 2017-04-29 at 2.38.52 PM.png