Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ineligible for EarlyBird Check-In

shenry
Explorer C

I ordered a Wanna Get away Fare for December. When I tried to purchase Early Bird check-in I got this message:

Thank you for your interest in EarlyBird Check-In®. The passengers and flights associated with this itinerary do not qualify for EarlyBird Check-In® purchase at this time.

I had achieved A-List status last year, but have only flown a couple of times in 2019. I don't see the EarlyBird check-in icon on my itinerary, so I don't think I have it. Is there a way to see if I still have the automatic EarlyBird check-in with A-status, or I'm stuck trying to check-in quick and hope for a B section boarding?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Ineligible for EarlyBird Check-In

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

Short version: as A-List you're automatically assigned your boarding position thus no need to purchase EarlyBird.

Longer version with additional references and detail (and source pages):

• See this thread, it provides a nice summary without getting to all of the detail I included below: https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Rapid-Rewards/Early-Bird-Checking-with-A-List-Preferred-Sta...
  • "A-List and A-List Preferred qualification will be based on a calendar year. Once A-List or A-List Preferred status is earned, the Member can begin enjoying the benefits immediately. The Member will maintain A-List or A-List Preferred status for the remainder of the calendar in which the status was earned and for the entire calendar year immediately following." (https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/faqs.html?topic=rapid_rewards_program_terms_and_cond...)
  • "Once a Member qualifies for A-List or A-List Preferred status, he/she is entitled to Priority Boarding. This means that Southwest Airlines will automatically reserve a boarding position for the Member 36 hours prior to each of the Member's confirmed Southwest Airlines' flight provided the Member added his/her Rapid Rewards account number to his/her reservation and made his/her reservation at least 36 hours prior to the flight. Priority Boarding will apply only to flights that a Member completes while his/her A-List or A-List Preferred status is active." (same source page as the previous statement)
  • "General boarding starts with Business Select customers, who are guaranteed positions at the front of the A Group, followed by Rapid Rewards tier Members and the remaining Customers in the A Group..." (https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/airport-experience/index.html)

Happy flying :cathappy:

Customer | Home airport DCA

Re: Ineligible for EarlyBird Check-In

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Looks like you earned A-List in 2018 which gives you A-List status until the end of 2019.  Surprise!  Lol, no need to buy EarlyBird Check-In.  You can verify your status in your account, log in on southwest.com then go to My Account.   At the top of the My Account screen it will say if you are A-List and when it expires.  If you are not A-List it will just say "Member".

--TheMiddleSeat