Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is EarlyBird Check-in worth it when you preboard/board with children?

emmi
Explorer C

So I've heard about EarlyBird check-in and I know what it is, so that's not the issue. From what I've seen it's not that much, so I've considered getting it when I fly southwest in the future (I love southwest because of the prices, the fact that virtually all the airports I use the most have it, their friendly staff, their excellence in assisting people with disabilities, and the superior customer service I've received every single time), since it doesn't look like that much of an additional cost. But as a person with a disability and who frequently travels with family members who also have disabilities, I preboard on a fairly regular basis (and before you criticize me yes I do have real medical problems that require specific seating; and I never ever take bulkhead or save seats for anyone, and if someone wants to sit by me in an empty seat I happily make sure they can get in). This means that I am typically one of the first few people on the plane (unless there are passengers from a previous stop still on the plane). Is there any benefit to paying the extra fee if you are already boarding earlier (such as a disability preboard or "family boarding" with a child)? I imagine it might be helpful on busy travel days in terms of the "check-in" lines before you go through security, but is there any benefit besides that? Another reason I'm asking is a dear friend of mine has a similar situation and I'd like to be able to advise her on whether she should use earlybird in the future. I'd really appreciate more info on this. Thank you so much in advance

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Is EarlyBird Check-in worth it when you preboard/board with children?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@emmi

If You pre board thete would be no need for you to buy Early Bird as you would board before everyone else.

If you choose to do family boarding you could buy EB but there is no gurantee that you will get an A boarding pass so if you get B then you would have spent the money uselessly as Family Boarding is after the A group but before the B group. 

If you have anyone who is not pre boarding and not using Family Boarding then yes you could buy EB for them (or they could buy it) and get the actual product that was paid for.

Also Early Bird check in doesnt come with a special security or check in line only those with Business Select tickets or A List status get expidited security and check in lines. 

Hope this helps

Blake

Re: Is EarlyBird Check-in worth it when you preboard/board with children?

emmi
Explorer C
Solution

Thank you so much! I'll definitely keep this in mind.