Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Loss of early bird check-in

FairSW7230
Explorer C

Why is the when SW cancels your flight that you lose your early-bird check-in. They refund the money but Tournament stuck in the back of the C group no fault of your own. Pretty poor customer service.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Loss of early bird check-in

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@FairSW7230 wrote:

Why is the when SW cancels your flight that you lose your early-bird check-in. They refund the money but Tournament stuck in the back of the C group no fault of your own. Pretty poor customer service.

Unfortunatley the short answer is that if you have rescheduled for a flight around the same time as your canceled flight then the numbered boarding positions are already assigned, so Southwest has limited options available. 

You could have purchased EBCI again on the new flight, but it isn't an option if the rescheduled flight is within the 36 hour window after the EBCI and A-list postions are already assigned.

Have a safe journey and I hope your next trip goes more smoothly.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

Just to add to what @DancingDavidE said you could always purchase upgraded boarding on day of travel at the gate (if available) and that would get you in the A1-A15 group. Unfortunately that would be at your own expense and you could try and ask for compensation after travel is complete but there are no guarantees on them compensating for that. 

-Blake

FairSW7230
Explorer C

Look, I get it, but having been in the service industry for 20+ years I’m always had my folks go out of their way to avoid the “sorry, tough s&@t” response. Some token would be nice. Here’s a drink coupon for you since you are now relegated to the middle seat where you are guaranteed to be uncomfortable. Just griping. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@FairSW7230 wrote:

Look, I get it, but having been in the service industry for 20+ years I’m always had my folks go out of their way to avoid the “sorry, tough s&@t” response. Some token would be nice. Here’s a drink coupon for you since you are now relegated to the middle seat where you are guaranteed to be uncomfortable. Just griping. 

Understood. I don't know if the gate people have these to hand out. If the flight isn't too hectic a recounting of the day's events to the FA might be where that LUV could come from in the form of a beverage. 

They seem to do this unofficially for flights delayed 30 minutes or more. That wouldn't cover your situation being canceled and rescheduled though. 

Hopefully your middle seat was relatively comfy!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.