Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

No Identification

talkndr
Explorer C

I forgot my wallet and passed the TSA/ICE questions. Will I be allowed on my Southwest Flight?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: No Identification

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @talkndr,

It is possible to fly if you've forgotten or lost your identification, but you will subject to extra screening at the security checkpoint. If you're cleared, you'll be able to board your Southwest flight. 

melanie16
Explorer C

Can i take a trip with out any identification ? Well can i use to my birth certificate to prove im a us citizen ?

Mamadesiete
Explorer C

This is terrible advice and is similar to that given to my girls this past August by one of your agents.  My daughter had her wallet stolen while on vacation and was leaving the next day.  She called SW to ask about what she would need to board without ID and was told she’d just need to answer extra screening questions with TSA. She specifically asked if she should call TSA, bring other proofs etc.  and the SW agent  assured her that wasn’t necessary.  She brought with her a picture of her drivers license and birth certificate.  The TSA agent would not let her enter.  I was halfway home and was called to see if I had any mail in her name, which I happened to have in the car.   Only after bringing this and arguing with the TSA agent was she allowed to board.    Meanwhile her disabled sister was allowed entry but left totally on her own and anxious about whether her twin would be allowed onto the flight.   This was a harrowing experience for all of us.   YOUR WEBSITE AND YOUR AGENTS SHOULD DIRECT THOSE WITH QUESTIONS TO THE TSA!  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mamadesiete wrote:

This is terrible advice and is similar to that given to my girls this past August by one of your agents.  My daughter had her wallet stolen while on vacation and was leaving the next day.  She called SW to ask about what she would need to board without ID and was told she’d just need to answer extra screening questions with TSA. She specifically asked if she should call TSA, bring other proofs etc.  and the SW agent  assured her that wasn’t necessary.  She brought with her a picture of her drivers license and birth certificate.  The TSA agent would not let her enter.  I was halfway home and was called to see if I had any mail in her name, which I happened to have in the car.   Only after bringing this and arguing with the TSA agent was she allowed to board.    Meanwhile her disabled sister was allowed entry but left totally on her own and anxious about whether her twin would be allowed onto the flight.   This was a harrowing experience for all of us.   YOUR WEBSITE AND YOUR AGENTS SHOULD DIRECT THOSE WITH QUESTIONS TO THE TSA!  

Actually, the advice was pretty much taken from the TSA website which says:

"

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process."

Apparently, your daughter did not successfully complete the screening process.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification#forgotID

CliffOnTheRoad
Explorer A

Although Mamadesiete's reply is 2 years after the initial post, thanks for sharing it.

Per the response by dfwskier of the TSA site info, and me half agreeing that the security questions failure is valid (I wasn't there), there is a general theme about the TSA 'agents'; Some of them should find a different line of work.

Some do not know the guidelines or apply those rules as they deem proper. They also exercise their duty with impunity.

And only sometimes does their playing god wrongly ever become known to the traveling public, ie the 'breast milk' or 'childs toy' or 'grope/fondle' events.

Minor case was peanut butter, never permitted, but some agents do not mention to the public that alternatives exist to throwing the item into the trash. And what might be OK with one scanner is voboten by another, with arguing never being sucessful.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

To get on the plane from inside the airport you just need your boarding pass.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.