Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Non connecting flights

TravisL
Explorer C

I have an upcoming trip flying OKC to OAK or SJC then onto OGG.  Technically these are not connecting and SW just changed the flight times and I have a 5 hour layover in OAK.   I can change and book  thru SJC but will have only 1:45 between flights.  

Can I check luggage thru to OGG or will I have to collect it and recheck and go thru security again?  Trying to decide if I have enough time if I have to get my luggage and recheck.  

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Non connecting flights

TravisL
Explorer C

Accidentally cut part of my message:  I can book thru OAK or SJC with a 1:45 layover. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, you should be able to check your bag all the way through to your final destination despite it not being on the same reservation as your first flight. When you go to check your bag you'll need to go to the full service counter instead of the usual kiosk area. I imagine the A-List counter will also be able to help with this. There is a chance the initial response will be no, it can't be done, but be polite and firm and it can be done. Lately it seems like people have much less trouble with it than in the past. Trust me, you really don't want a 5 hour layover in OAK so do anything you can to avoid that.

Enjoy Hawaii!

--TheMiddleSeat

TravisL
Explorer C

Thank you.  I was hoping we could check them all the way thru; but got mixed messages when I made the reservations a month ago and called back to make the changes the other day.