Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Online check in rejected by Southwest

StaticLine
Explorer A

My wife and I are on the same confirmation number. Our flight is scheduled for 7:00 a.m. tomorrow. I had our online check in already set up and at exactly 7:00:05 I clicked the check in button. Southwest rejected my check in as being outside the 24-hour window and informed me I can't check in more than 24 hours prior to the scheduled flight. I am certain I was within the 24-hour window, verified by my laptop, my iphone and my cable TV box.

Because Southwest rejected my check in attempt, I had to start over and by then it was 7:00:45 before my check in was accepted. we ended up with boarding positions in the middle of the B queue. I have no way of knowing how many boarding position opportunities we lost because of my rejection. What I do know is I did everything right and still got screwed.

What recourse do I have?

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Online check in rejected by Southwest

StaticLine
Explorer A
Solution

Solved. I contacted SW customer relations at the Dallas HQ to complain. After being on hold for more than 15 minutes, I finally had the opportunity to speak to a customer relations representative and recounted the situation to him. He very courteously explained that he can't take immediate action to rectify the technical miscue but did offer me the opportunity to upgrade to Business Select at the gate and receive a reimbursement from Southwest when the transction is posted. Because my wife and I are on the same confirmation number, neither of us will be left behind.

Although there's no guarantee Business Select will still be available at the gate, I appreciate this gentleman's efforts to rectify this situation as well as his courtesy and professionalism. He transformed a sour experience into something far more positive, reinforcing my loyalty to Southwest.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@StaticLine wrote:

Solved. I contacted SW customer relations at the Dallas HQ to complain. After being on hold for more than 15 minutes, I finally had the opportunity to speak to a customer relations representative and recounted the situation to him. He very courteously explained that he can't take immediate action to rectify the technical miscue but did offer me the opportunity to upgrade to Business Select at the gate and receive a reimbursement from Southwest when the transction is posted. Because my wife and I are on the same confirmation number, neither of us will be left behind.

Although there's no guarantee Business Select will still be available at the gate, I appreciate this gentleman's efforts to rectify this situation as well as his courtesy and professionalism. He transformed a sour experience into something far more positive, reinforcing my loyalty to Southwest.  

Glad to hear that things turned out well. The rep obviously couldn;t give you a better boarding position at the time becasue they had already been handed out.

Offering a reimbursement of the reimbursement of   a1-a15 seems to have been a pretty good solution though.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@StaticLine wrote:

What recourse do I have?

Seriously? Wow. 

Just because Southwest's clock is slightly off from yours you suddenly think you're owed something? I'm stunned you were offered the upgraded boarding position, but squeaky wheel gets the grease. And I guess if it's worth the initial 15 minute call and another call to attempt to get the reimbursement then good for you.

--TheMiddleSeat

StaticLine
Explorer A

I was owed a timely check in. I adhered to the rules. Southwest dropped the ball. Why should I or anyone accept that? They made good on it. FYI, I wasn't seeking a reimbursement. It was offered and I accepted. I'm a frequent Southwest customer.

I couldn't care less that you're stunned. And judgmental.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@StaticLine wrote:

I was owed a timely check in. I adhered to the rules. Southwest dropped the ball. Why should I or anyone accept that? They made good on it. I couldn't care less that you're stunned. And judgmental.

Owed? Ok

StaticLine
Explorer A

That's right. Owed. Southwest expects its customers to play by the rules. They need to also comply with the rules that they set forth.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I didn't know the "rules" specified which clock Southwest had to adhere to or if their clock was slightly off it was against the "rules". My bad. 

Have a lovely flight, 

--TheMiddleSeat

StaticLine
Explorer A

I get the impression that you believe I'm bragging at my good fortune. Not at all. First, there is no guarantee Business Select will still be available when we check in at the airport. Second, I shared my experience to inform other travelers that they do have recourse rather than meekly accepting unfair treatment. I'll be sure to ask them to save a middle seat for you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@StaticLine wrote:

I get the impression that you believe I'm bragging at my good fortune.

Lol, no. We just have very different ideas about what we are owed or what unfair treatment is. 

--TheMiddleSeat