Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pet Reservations

edissinger
Explorer C

I will be traveling with a cat soon and followed the directions on the website to make "reservations" for my pet. I was told I would get an email confirming the reservation. I have yet to receive one and the "HOLD" line is overwhelming LONG (21 mins +) to find out if I will have any problems when the day comes around without this email. Has anyone had any issues being turned away if the reservation is not found??

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Pet Reservations

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Did you call and have the pet added to your reservation? If so, you' should be all set (even without receiving the confirmation email). You'll still have to check in (online) and then again at the counter, where you'll pay the $95 fee. Southwest allows up to 6 pet carriers per flight, so it's unlikely you'd be turned away. Right now phone reps are overwhelmed (and understaffed). There's a significant weather event happening leading to many cancellations, and they're experiencing IT issues with the website (again). The missing confirmation email is probably just another IT glitch. But if you'd feel better double-checking that the pet has been noted on your reservation, wait a few days (if possible) and the hold times should be shorter. Good luck!

Re: Pet Reservations

audrey7rose
Explorer C

My own experience here in Tucson with the very same problem was only fixed when I went to the airport today - 2 days prior to my flight - and purchased THEIR PET CARRIER for my cat. This was

a smaller carrier than the one I had.  Because of extreme computer problems - they couldnt find

3 flights that had been booked and it took 1 hour to finally access the flights even though I had

confirmation numbers and had paid for the tickets. As far as the cat, the employees at the counter had no credibility with me, including the supervisor.  I finally got the carrier and came home after

getting them to print out tickets info. for flights.  Never had this experience with any other airline but believe it was all due to the computer problems which they said was due to new programs and they hadnt been properly trained to get the right information!!!

My advice to you is to go to the airport and get their carrier or you may be faced with a problem

when you take your cat!!!