Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Shipping Frozen Liquids checked baggage

Mbertaut
Explorer C

I have six tubs of frozen spiced ham stock I want to take home.  Have a 2 hour flight from BWI to MSY.  Need to know how to package it so I can check it in when we fly on Sunday.

I have gel packs, frozen ones to keep it all cold.  Just looks like 6 tubs with blocks of frozen brown water from the sides, each about a gallon.  

Suggestions?

thanks..mrb

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Shipping Frozen Liquids checked baggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I've put frozen food and ice packs in a soft sided cooler inside my checked bag and it's worked great. After several hours of driving and flying it made it to the destination still pretty frozen. I was actually hoping it would have defrosted more than it did. Just make sure each tub is inside sealed (ziploc) bags in case something leaks. Now that it's not summer I don't suspect you'd have problems.

That must be some tasty stock!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

How did your Thanksgiving gravy turn out @TheMiddleSeat?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Haha, good memory @DancingDavidE!

Gravy arrived in perfect condition, didn't even have to freeze it. Family was very appreciative of the effort and the wait at baggage claim wasn't bad. I was relieved when bags started coming out and they weren't covered in gravy. I hope your Thanksgiving went well.

The frozen food checked bag was from another dinner event. Suitcase had frozen steaks along with fresh fingerling potatoes, chopped bell peppers and onions, and freshly baked desserts. Dinner in a suitcase!