Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ski or Snowboard helmet OK in my ski bag?

vanmavin
Explorer C

Is there an extra fee if I put my ski helmet in the bag with my skis, boots, and poles?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Ski or Snowboard helmet OK in my ski bag?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If it's inside the bag it won't be questioned. I would advise considering carrying it on though as the bags may get banged up and banging your helmet may affect its usefulness when you actually need it. I'd only check it in a hard sided bag.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

You can put anything you want in your ski/board bag just make sure the bag doesn't exceed the 50 pound weight limit or there will be an extra charge.

If you put the helmet in your bag, you might want to wrap it in some clothing to provide cushioning -- at east that's what I do.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Great question! Ski gear may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

These details are listed at:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_lug...

Nicole
Community Manager

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@NicoleAshley wrote:

Great question! Ski gear may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free Checked Baggage allowance for each Passenger at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

These details are listed at:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_lug...

To clarify, the 62 inch rule applies to regular checkd baggage and not ski bags as almost all skis (and therefore the bags holding them) are longer than 62 inches.