Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

TSA Pre-Check

Hicksvc13
New Arrival

I just checked in for SW 1316 on 2/17 - - my Southwest mobi-pass did not show TSA Pre. I checked My Account settings and found that my Known Traveler Number (KTN) is on my profile.. If I check in at the counter, will I be issued a boarding pass with the TSA Pre approval?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: TSA Pre-Check

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

Unfortunately, there are known issues with Southwest's systems populating the KTN from a profile to a reservation. Your best bet is to call and see if they can add it manually, then reprint your boarding pass. But call times are very long at the moment dealing with cancellations due to the west coast weather. You can try at the airport tomorrow as you've suggested -- you'll need to use the full service counter (not express bag drop). Hope this helps -- Good luck!

DancingDavidE
Top Contributor

TSA Pre is never guaranteed, but but my wife and I have successfully used the approach to re-print at the counter in the past to have the KTN added, and earn PreCheck on a boarding pass.

I would bring the TSA card with you and not rely on looking it up from your profile.

You may also be able to call SWA tonight or in the morning (use your A-list phone number if you are A-list) and have the KTN added to the reservation in advance and then download again or reprint tomorrow.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

While PreCheck is not guaranteed, if you've paid the $85 fee you should be getting it 95% of the time (vs opting in via a carrier). If not, it's likely a systems issue (assuming the ticket name matches the KTN name exactly).

Also, note that there is no such thing as TSA PreCheck card. Global Entry does offer a card that shows the passenger's KTN, which provides PreCheck, but there are no cards for just PreCheck. It is probably still a good idea to have your KTN written down before trying to have it added at the counter.

DancingDavidE
Top Contributor

Thanks for clarifying @chgoflyer - I didn't realize that passengers who apply for TSA Pre but not through Global Entry wouldn't also have an equivalent ID card, I'll be sure to specify Global Entry Card in the future in any responses.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

KaylaR Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi @Hicksvc13:

Not all boarding passes have the TSA PreCheck indicator on them. There are times when Customers who have Known Traveler Numbers will not receive TSA PreCheck, even when the KTN is in the reservation. That said, so long as the information in your account matches exactly the name associated with your KTN the system should work as designed. While you could try having an Agent print a boarding pass at the airport, it still would not guarantee you receive TSA PreCheck.

-KaylaR

funtravelbug
New Arrival

That's exactly what was happening to me.  My employer's system will always change my last name, so I have to call SW each time so they can fix it. Otherwise the name will not match TSA's info and my Pre Check won't show up. Once I learned that, it works everytime.

DaveR
New Arrival

My boarding pass does not show the TAS PreCheck, yet my profile shows my KTN.  And I have been on hold for Customer Service for over 30 minutes.

How do I get my boarding pass fixed?

TheMiddleSeat
Rising Star

Stay on the phone, that's the best way to work on it. You'll need to verify the KTN is correct AND make sure the name associated with your RR account matches the name on your Known Traveler account exactly (including middle name).