Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Touch ID

jksobonya
Aviator A

This is almost (almost) a moot point, since the iPhone 8 is the last iPhone to support "Touch ID". The more recent phones have Face ID instead, although there are rumors that the Touch ID will be re-introduced on future iPhones, it has not been confirmed.

I doubt Southwest will spend any time fixing Touch ID issues, since most recent phones no longer have the feature.

For what it's worth, I used Touch ID when I had an iPhone 6S - now that I have an iPhone XR, I haven't bothered with Face ID - yet.

--Jessica

jrcowel
Explorer B

I would argue that this is NOT a moot point, even if iPhone 8 is (currently) the last to support Touch ID. The iPhone 8 will be a currently supported device for some time to come and the app should work as advertised - IMHO. As a matter of fact, I know others who have iPhone 8 devices on which Touch ID does work with the Southwest app. Does that mean only my device is defective? I have no idea, but there is nothing forthcoming from Southwest to try to determine if that is the case - no communication to try to debug or gather any additional information.

And, since Southwest does not seem to be concerned about this - there has been quit a lot of time I've been hearing nothing but crickets chirping - my opinion of the app is getting worse and worse. I'll just leave it at that.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Like many models, my Android phone uses Touch ID and it still works for the Southwest app.

It seems like the mobile team has been having a lot of issues with the iOS version of the app lately... perhaps this one is also on their fix list.

jrcowel
Explorer B

Oh, by the way - Touch ID does work after I logoff the app and then log in again without terminting the app, i.e. I start the app and have to log in by entering id/password. Then logoff and immediately select log in - "Log in with Touch ID" is an option at that point.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

tredav609
Explorer C

I had to log out and log back in and do not see the option for Touch ID.  It's extremely frustrating.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  I have an iPhone 7Plus and use the latest version of IOS system which is iOS 14.6.  Can you please help me with getting this to work.  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@tredav609 wrote:

I had to log out and log back in and do not see the option for Touch ID.  It's extremely frustrating.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  I have an iPhone 7Plus and use the latest version of IOS system which is iOS 14.6.  Can you please help me with getting this to work.  

Hi @tredav609. I am so sorry for the frustration. I just heard back from our Mobile Team that this is a known issue, which has been sent to our Technology Team. While it goes through this process, you'll need to log in manually, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Nicole
Community Manager