Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Touch ID

jksobonya

This is almost (almost) a moot point, since the iPhone 8 is the last iPhone to support "Touch ID". The more recent phones have Face ID instead, although there are rumors that the Touch ID will be re-introduced on future iPhones, it has not been confirmed.

I doubt Southwest will spend any time fixing Touch ID issues, since most recent phones no longer have the feature.

For what it's worth, I used Touch ID when I had an iPhone 6S - now that I have an iPhone XR, I haven't bothered with Face ID - yet.

--Jessica

jrcowel
New Arrival

I would argue that this is NOT a moot point, even if iPhone 8 is (currently) the last to support Touch ID. The iPhone 8 will be a currently supported device for some time to come and the app should work as advertised - IMHO. As a matter of fact, I know others who have iPhone 8 devices on which Touch ID does work with the Southwest app. Does that mean only my device is defective? I have no idea, but there is nothing forthcoming from Southwest to try to determine if that is the case - no communication to try to debug or gather any additional information.

And, since Southwest does not seem to be concerned about this - there has been quit a lot of time I've been hearing nothing but crickets chirping - my opinion of the app is getting worse and worse. I'll just leave it at that.

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

Like many models, my Android phone uses Touch ID and it still works for the Southwest app.

It seems like the mobile team has been having a lot of issues with the iOS version of the app lately... perhaps this one is also on their fix list.

Highlighted

jrcowel
New Arrival

Oh, by the way - Touch ID does work after I logoff the app and then log in again without terminting the app, i.e. I start the app and have to log in by entering id/password. Then logoff and immediately select log in - "Log in with Touch ID" is an option at that point.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm...