Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel fund and hurricane cancellation

p123
Explorer C

I have a flight to NAS this labor day weekend that I booked using travel fund that would expires in the next couple weeks.

If southwest cancel the flight, would my travel fund expiration date change to 1 year after the cancellation or will it still expire based on the original expiration date?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Travel fund and hurricane cancellation

dfwskier
Aviator A

@p123 wrote:

I have a flight to NAS this labor day weekend that I booked using travel fund that would expires in the next couple weeks.

If southwest cancel the flight, would my travel fund expiration date change to 1 year after the cancellation or will it still expire based on the original expiration date?

Non refundable fares (Wanna Get Away) and refundable fares are changeable and REFUNDABLE when the airline cancels your flight.

So my take is that you luck out and can get your money back. You'll probably need to do it

via phone or e-mail. It's not something you can do on line.

bec102896
Aviator A

This might be one of those times customer relations might be able to make an exception and extend the travel funds without any monatary penalties. I recommend reaching out to southwest on Twitter or reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4654 as they are usually the best ones to make an exception to the expiration date of the travel funds. They may just issue the funds as a LUV voucher. 

-Blake 

p123
Explorer C

Thank you.

Any idea what is the customer relations hours of operation?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, refunds are made back to the original form of payment. If this was a travel fund, the refund would retain the expiration date of the travel fund used. 

Your best bet, as mentioned above, would be to reach out to Southwest Customer Relations to see if they might be able to make an exception for you and process the refund as a voucher. 

Also unfortunately, Southwest no longer publishes the hours for Customer Relations telephone service. I do know that they are closed on weekends and holidays. I would recommend reaching out via Twitter. Good luck, and please let us know how this all works out for you!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote

Also unfortunately, Southwest no longer publishes the hours for Customer Relations telephone service. I do know that they are closed on weekends and holidays. I would recommend reaching out via Twitter. Good luck, and please let us know how this all works out for you!

If you are a Rapid Rewards member logged into the app you may be able to try Live Chat as a method of contact that is similar to Twitter, but with the advantage the rep know who you are already.

Try to get the refund either to a new travel fund or as a voucher.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

If you are a Rapid Rewards member logged into the app you may be able to try Live Chat as a method of contact that is similar to Twitter, but with the advantage the rep know who you are already.

I'm a HUGE fan of the chat function within the app.  I'm impacted by the hurricane and just rebooked tickets using the chat function -- we are overseas now and our travelling party has multiple PNR numbers (one down side of Companion Pass bookings).  Literally no wait to get in to the chat with Diana.  I think there were 2 people in the queue but the numbers ticked away before I could even think about it.

Customer | Home airport DCA