Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Tropical Storm Dorian

rabias93
Explorer C

I have a flight scheduled for Saturday 8:30am through fort lauderdale airport.  I'm hoping my flight will still be on time, and will still go out that day despite Dorian.  But it isn't projected to make landfall until Sunday/Monday anyway.  Any input on this? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Tropical Storm Dorian

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

According at SW’s weather advisory, you can change your flight if you are traveling thru FLL on Saturday. You can risk it, or choose an option that is more comfortable, risk-wise. 

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Beerlev
Explorer C

I am supposed to fly into FLL on Tuesday 5pm from CAN. So.... southwest offers to change the flight one time. Does this one time change offer expire if the flight is cancelled? Are flight cancellations and the subsequent costs (hotel, lodging, etc) covered by Southwest? Or possibly by travel insurance (paid with AMEX)? Should I change the flight? Or take a risk ? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Beerlev wrote:

I am supposed to fly into FLL on Tuesday 5pm from CAN. So.... southwest offers to change the flight one time. Does this one time change offer expire if the flight is cancelled?

No, because if the flight is cancelled, you still are entitled to a change. However if the flight you change to is also cancelled, then you'll be allowed another one time change/

Are flight cancellations and the subsequent costs (hotel, lodging, etc) covered by Southwest?

Acts of god (hurricanes, etc) result in every airline refusing to pay for these costs. If the plane breaks airlines pick up the costs. If it's weather, they d o not.

Or possibly by travel insurance (paid with AMEX)?

Only the terms of your travel insurance can answer that question

Should I change the flight? Or take a risk ? 

Only you can answer that question. Dorian is supposed to be a Cat 4 storm by landfall. Is that a risk you really want to take?

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Beerlev wrote:

Are flight cancellations and the subsequent costs (hotel, lodging, etc) covered by Southwest? Or possibly by travel insurance (paid with AMEX)?  

Echoing the comment to check coverage with AMEX. Many insurance providers will not pay unless your flight is cancelled so if you were to rebook on your own before you receive a formal cancellation notification then you may not be reimbursed for your additional expenses. Save all documentation and receipts!

Edit to add: Insurance provided will vary greatly depending on the provider so always check with the issuing company. Some travel insurance companies may be more proactive with their approaches.

Customer | Home airport DCA