Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

With EBCI, when does your account show you as checked in?

jeffers102
Explorer C

The 36 hour mark has come and gone and I wasn't notified that I was checked in or provided with a boarding letter/number.  I can see the EBCI icon on my trip, so I know it is was applied.  However, there is no mention of me being checked in (which I would assume I would see now, even if the actual boarding info came later).  When should I see something posted in my account?  Maybe I just have to wait until exactly 24 hours beforehand?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: With EBCI, when does your account show you as checked in?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Hello.

EBCI assigns you a boarding spot 36 hours pre departure time. It does not check you in. You still need to check in to obtain a boarding pass. You may do so at any time starting 24 hurs pre flight time.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

More info here: Early Bird Check-In FAQs

-A List, Companion Pass holder

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

SWA really should come up with better terminology regarding EBCI as people who do not fly often post to this forum confused about the 36 vs 24 hour thing.

Maybe something to the effect of "Early Bird Check-in automatically assignes your boarding position 36 hours before your flght. However, you will still have to check in 24 hours (or less) before your flight. You will find out what your boarding position is when you check in."

Or, although it would be a massive undertaking, change Early Bird Check-in to Early Bird Seat Assignment.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I think it's pretty clear if you read the description for EarlyBird Check-In how the service works. And Southwest would never use the phrase "seat assignment," as Southwest doesn't assign seats. 😉

jksobonya
Aviator A

As others have said, Early Bird 'checks' you in 36 hours in advance in order to give you a better boarding position, but you still have to check in yourself to obtain said boarding pass and board the flight. The great benefit is, it doesn't matter if you check in 24 hours ahead or a few hours ahead, as your boarding pass is already assigned to you. You just have to check in and print / download (etc) it. 

--Jessica