Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

problem getting boarding position

Smithann
Explorer C

Has anyone had issues getting a bad boarding assignment? I logged in at the exact minute allowed  and got a B 59 seat. I have been A list for 2 years. So I fly a lot. Sent a teeet to SW and got a canned response about A list and pre board. Well, that is true but I find it very suspicious that they would have 119 A listers and preboarders. Haven’t had much luck contacting SW as I have bad cell reception where I am at. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this?  This issue would be a hard one to pinpoint unless you fly a lot with SW. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: problem getting boarding position

chgoflyer
Aviator A

B59 as an A-lister is most likely caused by an (infamous) Southwest "glitch." Meaning your status likely dropped off your itinerary and you were given a "regular" position. While B-59 may seem high for check-in at exactly T-24, if there are a lot of through passengers coming from a different time zone, (where they checked in an hour or more earlier than you), that could help explain it. Many people buy EarlyBird Check-In these days as well -- its common for EBCI passengers to fill the A group and stretch into B.

If you contact Customer Relations they should be able to check and see if your status was dropped from the itinerary. 

As you may know, you can use your status to board before Family Boarding, after the A group and before the B one, regardless of the position you receive.

Smithann
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply..lots of good info. When I talked to fellow passengers they were all complaining about boarding positions. I guess everyone tried to log in at the same time and probably caused an overload.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

As often as Southwest has IT "glitches," a full flight of people all logging in at the same time and trying to check in, which is unlikely, would be a very small amount of people compared to the total number of those using the Southwest system at any given time, so it's very unlikely that, even if it did happen, it would cause any kind of "overload."

Remember that those connecting on to your flight checked in an hour (or more) earlier than you could.

Fellow passengers like to complain about boarding positions. 😉 Anyone receiving anything but a low A one isn't happy about it, especially if they paid extra for EarlyBird Check-In.

If you're A-List, why do you bother to check in at exactly t-24? There's no reason to, as your position is assigned at t-36. (When things work correctly, at least... which admittedly didn't happen this time.)